Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
wimute

Crack in X220 casing + poor support

Hi. After much saving up and research I bought a top-of-the-range x220 four months ago in the US ($1,200). A couple of days ago a crack (see picture) appeared in the casing on the right side. Now, I can state with absolute confidence that the laptop has never been misused, dropped, bumped, or anything like that. I also have a super-padded crumpler laptop bag for it when I take it anywhere.

I called Lenovo support here in the Netherlands and after struggling for a while to get them to respond to my emails, an agent told me over the phone that the crack was not covered by the warranty. I protested but to no avail.

Now, call me crazy, but - if Lenovo sells you a top of the range laptop with promises of "military" durability,; you treat it like a baby (seriously, they could just inspect the thing and see there's been no accidental damage); and the casing cracks - then, shouldn't they be apologising as well as repairing it under warranty? Instead you get a blank wall and the off-hand claim that you automagically damaged your laptop and have to shell out to have it repaired... Well, if you're like me, you'd be getting pretty hot under the collar.

ps: when you hold the laptop by the palmrest area the crack widens. It seems like that spot above the corner of the hard drive panel is simply too weak by design.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Crack in X220 casing + poor support

It is so sad to know that your new notebook got issue.

I can understand your concern. However, I would like to share with you any physical damage (crack) does not cover into standard warranty policy.

You may send the picture to the support center and they can also have a look on this.  After looking to the picture they may decide if the crack developed itself or they can reply you accordingly.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Serial Port
wimute

Dear Tanujhanda,

The relevant terms of the Lenovo warranty (Lenovo Limited Warranty, L505-0010-01 04/2008) are:

"Lenovo warrants that each hardware product that you purchase is free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use during the warranty period."

"This warranty does not cover: [...] failure or damage resulting from misuse, accident, modification, unsuitable physical or operating environment, natural disasters, power surges, or improper maintenance by you."

Yes it is sad: Lenovo sold me a defective product, namely an x220 whose casing developed a crack during normal use and not because of accidental or intended damage.

If I am not mistaken, it is Lenovo's duty to show that the physical defect arose from the kind of use or environment that the warranty does not cover. I am absolutely confident that there is no evidence of such misuse or accident, because:

1/ I have never subjected the laptop or allowed the laptop to be subjected to the kinds of use, accident, or environment that the warranty does not cover, and;

2/ I have inspected the laptop and see no evidence whatsoever of such misuse, accident or environment.

I have now sent three emails about this issue to support_nl@uk.ibm.com (the address given by the support agent here in Amsterdam), and still do not have a single reply.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Dear Wimute,

I can understand your concern and suggest you to wait for the support team reply.

There is a suggestion if you have time you can visit to the service center also and ask them inspect the notebook.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Wimute,

I see your point - I think you understand the general policy regarding physical damage and the optional accidental damage coverage that can be purchased as an upgrade which covers these types of things.

That said, it is possible there are circumstances where we should take a closer look at the individual system.

Can you send me a private message with your contact information, and the model type / serial number of this system, and any service case numbers from your prior calls on this topic?

Let's see what can be done.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Serial Port
wimute

[ Edited ]

(here another picture of the crack that shows a little better how it goes clean through the casing)

Well, Mark kindly filed a complaint on my behalf, but I received the unhelpful reply from a customer service agent below.

Like all the previous reactions from Lenovo, this contradicts a/ the terms of the Lenovo warranty, and b/ Dutch law, which states that if a product manifests a fault within 6 months, the assumption is that the product is faulty unless the manufacturer can prove that the customer dropped or otherwise misused the product. Also, how is this crack in the "bezel"? It goes straight through the casing, and is a structural fault. Last time I checked, a bezel was a superficial panel in front of e.g. the rim of the LCD, or in front of the DVD player.

This is so exasperating... frankly it feels like Lenovo sees itself in a legal wild west with regard to warranties, since they are simply ignoring the terms of their warranty as well as the legal regulations! They act like their arbitrary (or self-serving) internal policies have some kind of legal or moral weight!

Dear Mr. [redacted]
I have checked your complaint and have to confirm what our agents told you.
Bezel faults are considered as customer damage and are not supported by base warranty of lenovo product.
I'm sorry, but you are not entitled for the repair.

Regards,

Customer Complaints Management Team
Lenovo WE Services

Moderator Note: name of Lenovo employee removed per Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Serial Port
wimute

Man oh man, this case is so clear-cut. It's outrageous. I work at the computer science department at the university here and about a dozen seasoned computer experts/academics I've shown this x220 with its casing crack to, have all said without hesitation, that this is a product fault which the Lenovo warranty as stated, covers. It is not cosmetic, and it's very obviously not the result of misuse! Instead of acknowledging the glaringly obvious, Lenovo's customer support is behaving like something out of a Kafka novel!

Punch Card
corelement

As soon as I saw the pic i had a pretty good idea what caused this.

Excessively tightened internal vertical screws. No doubt about it.

Serial Port
wimute

Okay. And I have never tightened or un-tightened a screw on this notebook. So if that's the case, it is a factory fault.
Serial Port
wimute

So I got another unhelpful reply:

Dear Mr. Stork
To be clear, the base warranty doesn't cover the cracks on the plastic parts of the computers.
You may check below the list of issues not covered by base warranty.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept your complaint.

warranty_meta.gif