Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,328

Re: Crack in X220 casing + poor support

Apple isn't that generous when it comes to repair.

The OP can just spend 200 dollars more and get accidental damage protection, where it protects against liquid damage and drops, etc.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
wimute

All this talk about generosity, care, etc. and comparisons to Apple's superior customer care, is superfluous when Lenovo hasn't even met its contractual obligation to repair a product that has failed during the warranty period.

Lenovo has violated the terms of the manufacturer's warranty as well as the statutory warranty by working on the assumption that the customer caused the manifestation of the product fault, when there is no evidence of "excessive force" or other misuse or accident. Lenovo's inspection of the machine indicated no such evidence.

The crack is a product fault and Lenovo's refusal of warranty service wouldn't hold up in court. I don't have the time to go to court over a crack in a laptop that so far hasn't caused the laptop to fail completely. Nonetheless the X220 in my possession falls substantially short of Lenovo's marketing description and I would like that, and the poor customer support over the course of February, to be on the record.

Serial Port
wimute

Blindzior, can you post that picture again? the link is broken...
Punch Card
ddochi11

I am not trying to be a smart or anything, and if my laptop cracked without any excessive force, I would be furious too.

However, my laptop has not cracked and I take good care of my laptop. And after following your post abit, I tried to "bend" my X220, but it didn't feel like it was going to crack unless I REALLY forced the issue.

In any case, Lenovo can claim that the crack itself is an evidence of excessive force. What other evidence can they find? They can't go back in time and see if you tried to break the laptop over your knee.

X220 | i5-2540 | 500GB HDD |64GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM (upgraded from 4GB) | IPS | Webcam | Fingerprint reader | Bluetooth
*** Replaced by above for MB issue : X220 i5-2520 320GB 2GB TN Webcam
Punch Card
aaronho

[ Edited ]

It is impossible for lenovo to hire a forensic's team to determine the cause of every damage on a machine.  I believe they have handled this the best they could, they even had some technician inspected the machine which is more than I ever got in many other cases.

I have 40 X220's and X220 tablets, I honestly can say that the palm rest area has zero flex.  Unless somehow there was a batch with the defect, which I didn't find in this forum, it is really hard to justify the free repair.  If they were to do it, it should be an exception to try to go beyond normal level customer service but not because someone raised a non-arguement on the interpretation of the warranty contract.

As someone posted before, I recommend TPP as well.  It had saved me 2 times so far between 60 lenovos that otherwise wouldn't cover in warranty (coffee and drops).  Hope the OP can find someone cheap and compotent to repair the issue and move on and not less someone like this hold up life.

Serial Port
wimute

[ Edited ]

I didn't know that repairing a machine that failed without evidence of misuse, would necessitate teams of forensics and time travel. That's a colourful line of argument!

But then I'm guessing that the contributors who committed to acquiring 60 Lenovo notebooks and find it useful to refer a disappointed client to a redundant "protection" service from Lenovo with a slap on the back and a "get on with it",  cannot be faulted for their brand loyalty.

If I had accidentally damaged my machine I would have filed an insurance claim. I'm pretty certain I didn't accidentally damage my machine. Lenovo haven't offered any reasonable evidence to alter that view. So now, it would be wrong of me to file an insurance claim for a product that I am reasonably certain was not accidentally damaged - you know, uberrima fides and all...

It's interesting to read the anecdotal stories about X220s that do not show flex around the part of the casing in question. I'm as bemused as you are! Still, I do not presume to have the statistical and industrial process knowledge to draw a meaningful conclusion from all that. In the meantime, and until I'm given evidence I failed to give this laptop the treatment it deserved, I'd like that warranty service.

Serial Port
wimute

I don't think this thread is going to get me anywhere. I'm unsubscribing. If Lenovo decides to fix this issue I guess they'll send me an email... Maybe in a few months more people will experience the same problem and see this thread, and hopefully we'll have a better "case" then, har har.

Punch Card
aaronho

If you wish to be technical, the evidence of misuse can be determined by the crack existing. If it is a defect or design flaw, every X220 users will have a crack at the same location by now and it is simply not the case as far as I know.

Redundency implicate that there are inclusive properties. TPP covers items that are exclusive to the standard warranty. Just so happens in your case it would have applied. So it is more of an informational advice than selling you a product.

I understand you have the illusion of the laptop created the crack by itself. But I feel that most people may have difficulty understanding how you have not caused it. As if you wake up one morning and the laptop grew a crack without anyone touching it.

I am genuinely trying to explain to you that all the machines I have are being used in the field daily and I have not seen the issue that was outlined and also cannot find any documented cases supporting it. I am glad you are able to not let this bother you anymore and good luck with the repair.
Token Ring
ccl13

[ Edited ]

Well I think if you want to find if there is evidence of misuse, there is a simple yet risked method.

Since it is plastic, you could have the broken part removed from your laptop, and examine the crack. A manufacture faulty part could be a single case that not applied to other users, but plastic is weak for reasons that is easy to be observed. A crack will develop for mainly three reasons, 1) bubbles inside, 2) areas that is too thin or too thick, 3) not uniform material.

Generally they are all problems happened in molding process which may not have a outside look that could easily slip a inspector without break the plastic part. But since your part is already broken, it will be very easy to be determined. You could just tear apart the broken shell, and examine the crack's cut surface. If there are small bubbles, or with a micrometer measured the plastic around the crack is thin or thick, or with a magnifier there are layers not uniform to other areas appeared.

Surely this will need your shell part taken off and examined, but since I think you are sure to have the part replaced so there is no actual risk to you. All the tests could be done by Lenovo and photo evidence could be produced to prove both sides' claim.

---------------------------------------------------------
[2011]X220-4286-CTO(Brand new, hope nothing bad will happen to it...)[2008]X61-7673-CV2(Slipped upon it, but also working)[2002]X31-2672-BCH(Broke screen, but still working!)
Fanfold Paper
islandbrian

I read this thread top to bottom.  The OP is obviously smart and knows what he is saying a doing (he would be a very good lawyer).  I think his analysis SPOT ON in all respects except one.  The OP said (on 2/28):

"The basis of the conclusion is that the crack "was not recognised as the manufacturing, quality or design problem classified as the known issue for X201 models."

Let us for now give Lenovo the benefit of the doubt, that a qualified technician actually made a bona fide inspection of the laptop, despite the fact that this technician is referring to the wrong model of laptop (it is an X220 not an X201)."

I think the OP overlooked a nuance in the tech's response.  The tech was admitting that the X201 machines DID have a "known issue for X201 models" that DID constitute a "manufacturing, quality or design problem" having to do with cracks that apparently were similar, if not the same, as the crack that occurred on the OP's laptop.  In other words, the X201 machines had a similar, known fault.  But upon inspection, the tech is saying that the X220 crack does not appear to be the same as the cracks that occurred in the X201 machines and that were a byproduct of a "known issue."

So Lenovo is admitting that they know they had the same or similar problems with another, similar model of machine.

All other arguments made by the OP are perfectly put.  The warranty does cover the plastic (unless excessive force was used).  It does not matter what was the cause so long as it was not excessive force, misuse, abuse, etc. And Lenovo does have the burden of proof that such misuse occurred and failed to meet that burden.

Lenovo - for the love of all that is decent, please repair that man's computer!