Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
AndrewPh

Re: Crack in X220 casing + poor support

I came to this thread due to just recently noticing a similar crack on my X220 (which however has undergone more than 6 months of use). A crack formed on the bottom right hand corner of the trackpad, and I concede that it might be because I have a heavy hand. I am quite disappointed in this because Lenovo prides itself and its brand power, amongst other things, on the build quality and overall construction of its hardware. I will mention that I have never dropped or banged my laptop or inadvertantly treated it whereby such a crack would form as such.

There is a whole gamut of ways in which the laptop may be mishandled, etc. However it does not excuse Lenovo, in my view, for dismissing warranty claims whereby there is real and probable legitimacy. 

What the OP has explained is explained well and honestly. I agree with his argument that Lenovo's warranty would be as useful as a **bleep** on a bull if it does not at all include a provision for cracks to its plastic components as the case at hand. It is, as he said, 'plastic-heavy' and all of us X220 users can attest to this. 

This isn't a question of durability, because if it was then there would be an implied concession of damage on the OP's behalf. However it also isn't a question of DOA and having to notice it 'immediately' to send it back (on that note, what is the timeframe for DOA claims?) It's merely a point upon where and when Lenovo can repair a 'manufacturer fault' damage in the case of plastc components which it seeks to exclude. It is written in the words there that 'excessive force' qualifies the exclusion. In this case, I definitely agree that the burden of proof lies upon Lenovo in outlining how it ascertained that it was due to excessive force. The words of warranty are merely too convenient I think for Lenovo. If it is to take its customers seriously, then I think it should at least offer winmute the reason for their decision alongside proof of that decision.

Don't know what the contract laws are like over there in terms of warranties, but if it were to be put to a court, it would be a straightfoward case. And why would it have to go to that for Lenovo to prove what they can, supposedly, prove now? 

Lenovo, I was about to buy another X series and perhaps your tablet, but seeing how you treated one of your own I am hesitant. I can safely say that I am in no way affiliated to winmute. Rather just an interest by-stander with a similar, albeit different problem.

Punch Card
elinoir

[ Edited ]

I also have a small crack in my casing, after two months of use. Warranty repair was denied in NL due to the damage being

"physical damage/wear and tear"

I have treated the laptop with much care, regardless of the Thinkpad claim to durability. As I am also in the NL it is interesting to hear of wimute's experience, with a very similar problem.

Serial Port
wimute

[ Edited ]

Considering the effort it took me, and the number of times I had to refuse to take "no" as an answer from Lenovo, I wouldn't be suprised if there were a lot of people out there who have suffered from this class of product fault but gave up on obtaining help.

I encourage them to post their experience here.

Soon I will set up a blog to help track this class of product quality and warranty compliance issues related to Lenovo products.

Fanfold Paper
islandbrian

Please see this thread re: poor build and cracks in the lid on the X220: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-Lid-breaking/td-p/559871.
Punch Card
AndrewPh

[ Edited ]

guys, I was just browsing around. found out that a certain case exists in regards to cracks forming on palm rest areas (specifically towards the lower part of the trackpad - might not apply equally to yours winmute) though nevertheless, refer to: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-Plastic-Standoff-Pads-Scratch-Palmrest-Cr...

basically the little dimples you see above the monitor, when closed, hits the bevelled edges across the palm rest. one of those dimples just right of centre happen to hit the bottom-right-hand side of the trackpad. now I've discovered that it is most likely due to the design and incorporation of these dimples (or plastic standoffs) that contribute to the majority of cracked palmrests that exist out there. 

i refer to this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Chassis-Crack-on-X220-covered-under-warranty/t...

his crack is exactly the same as mine. coincidence? I think not.

if there are enough lenovoians out there experiencing this please contribute to the discussion here. as the income providers for the makers of many of the beloved series, we have a voice.

i have already saved a cache of this forum to my personal storage just in case it gets removed, so don't bother *lenovo staff* in deleting it.

Punch Card
AndrewPh

[ Edited ]

islandbrian wrote:
Please see this thread re: poor build and cracks in the lid on the X220: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-Lid-breaking/td-p/559871.

that link appears to be dead

EDIT:

sorry, it's working, just remove the dot at the end.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-Lid-breaking/td-p/559871

Punch Card
AndrewPh

btw, found others on the web with the same problems: http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/618767-x220-build-quality-problems.html
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,238
Solutions: 1,331

@AndrewPh,

The OP posted a different problem to what you are experiencing. The OP is complaining about a crack in the magnesium chassis and not a crack in the palmrest per se.

Since you got your laptop within 6 months of purchase, the standard warranty should cover the palmrest.

If you are having problem with the warranty coverage, then come back and report, we will see what can be done.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
AndrewPh

Hi lead_org

Yes, I understand his issue differs from mine. I will give warranty a go on my end then. But based on the reports of similar incidents and Lenovo's narrow definition on plastic parts, I am at best hopeful it will be resolved to my satisfaction.

I will inform the thread.

Andrew

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,238
Solutions: 1,331

just call up Lenovo Australia warranty on 131 426.

P.S. i also sent you a private message.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft