Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: Crack in X220 casing + poor support

wimute,

I think the situation is extremely unfortunate.   The laptop was brought in as a result of our escalation request and a determination was made that this crack was not the result of a factory defect and service has determined that it is not a warranty item to address.

I understand and appreciate that you are frustrated, and I do apologize.  Please see my PM.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Guru
HiVolt

Wow. I find the handling of this by Lenovo to be extremely poor.

I've seen Apple fix all sorts of cosmetic cracks, dents, without even asking during warranty service...

How much would this have cost to leave this customer satisfied? You can pretty much bet he will never purchase a Lenovo product again.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
SCSI Port
nando4

[ Edited ]

HiVolt wrote:
Wow. I find the handling of this by Lenovo to be extremely poor.

I've seen Apple fix all sorts of cosmetic cracks, dents, without even asking during warranty service...

How much would this have cost to leave this customer satisfied? You can pretty much bet he will never purchase a Lenovo product again.

I've owned Dell and HP business class notebooks.  Neither has ever presented such a sorry and miserly response as we've seen in this example *faulty X220* unit. I've nearly had whole systems rebuilt within one or two days of logging the problem with the Dell/HP support staff.

Consider using your credit card's insurance policy to fund a new bottom cover + a callout from Lenovo to fit it if Lenovo keep resisting fixing this problem under warranty.

Serial Port
wimute

Update from the lenovo customer team:

Dear *****

The analysis says that the damage was caused by the extensive pressure on the palmrest area.
It means that if this damage had been caused in manufacturing, you would have noticed it at delivery and reported the machine as DOA.
Because this damage occurs later after purchase, it might have been caused by leaning on the palmrest area (when machine was not fully placed on a table).

Unfortunately, this kind of damage is not covered by the warranty so I just have to repeat that the repair was rejected.

Regards,

Serial Port
wimute

[ Edited ]

My reply below:

Hi *****,

Was there any evidence of "extensive pressure on the palmrest area"? The technician didn't mention that there was any evidence of this.

I definitely did not lean on the palmrest area or otherwise apply extensive pressure on it other than from typing. Yes the crack occured after delivery. No it was not caused by excessive force.

Regards

Serial Port
wimute

[ Edited ]

So I just called the Bratislava customer service office handling this case, and was informed that the agent who has been handling this case during the past few days has been "in training" and out of the office during the whole time. I guess that explains why I get replies to my daytime emails at 9:20pm and that that is why it's taken eight days (and counting) to perform this laughable "inspection" with no sign that the laptop is about to be shipped back! Maybe I should attribute to that, the fact that no intelligent answer has been forthcoming to my question: what is the evidence that I damaged the laptop?

30 days, Lenovo. I've spent 30 days trying to get you to fix this faulty machine under warranty and not only are you refusing to do it, but you've had my laptop for 8 days now.

Serial Port
wimute

X220 design fault (weak spot in casing)

[ Edited ]

Hi fellow Thinkpad owners,

My intention with this thread is to establish what I believe to be a design fault in the X220 Thinkpad notebooks. In my opinion the casing area near the microphone/headphone jack, between the top left corner of the hard drive panel and the corner of the palmrest panel, is too weak by design and is liable to crack under normal use. This constitutes a product quality fault, especially in a premium notebook that is advertised as "designed to pass 8 MilSpec tests for durability".

The following pictures show the kind of crack that can occur under normal use (in this case within four months of purchase):

Picture 1

Picture 2

If you have had trouble with the same design fault, post your description or pictures here so that we can get Lenovo to acknowledge the issue and provide a solution, especially for those of us with machines that are still under warranty cover.

Serial Port
wimute

Re: X220 design fault (weak spot in casing)

[ Edited ]

So the laptop has just come back from Lenovo. It has taken 9 days, this mock "inspection".

Here is a nice touch: the box they chucked the laptop in. I think this box is a nice metaphor for the product and the customer service that Lenovo sold me for $1,236. I seriously regret my decision to buy a Lenovo.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Ctrl-Alt-Del
blindzior

[ Edited ]

I fell you, I had t420s palmrest issue too http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2048/img0166bc.jpg but hesitated to contact lenovo about this since I would probably have been given same answers as you ("too much pressure on palmrest, so you did it yourself").

One day I emailed Lenovo Poland to ask about this and if I can send them pictures so they investigate this crack or if they simply can forward me to proper support team in my city. No answer whatsoever. A couple of days later my LCD display died so I had no chance but to leave the laptop with local lenovo support. I asked them to ask Lenovo about this crack issue too... Long story short I wasted 30 days to get LCD replaced and no answer whatsoever about crack. The guy who has been assigned to fix my Laptop issues told me that Lenovo is simply not giving any answers to question about crack-issue, so I gave up and told him to make them replace LCD and I'm done.

BTW. same day I left laptop with support, I ordered Dell m4600 with NBD + accidental warranty. I cant see coming back to lenovo with this kind of support.

Punch Card
aaronho

[ Edited ]

I think we all agree here that this is standard practice for all computer makers out there other than 1 (you know the one, they make white/aluminum laptops).  The profit margin for most computer makers now days is so low that their business model would not allow them to provide the level of customer service/warranty you may be used to seeing when computers were $3000+.  I am not saying it is right, but i rather be able to get a laptop for $800 and risk breaking them than spending them at $3000 level just 10 years ago.  And if you remember right, lenovo at those days were so much more expensive than other computer brands.  Obviously they have cut into their own profit margin in recent years to be competitive.

If you want that kind of customer service, go to the other vendor that i mentioned before and they will gladly take your money and you will receive the best service in the industry at today's standard.  I have dealt with all computer makers and this is the truth to me.  I recommend users to go to them on a daily basis if they have extra cash laying around and don't mind throwing them away for the same hardware.  Don't for a second think the rest of the brands out there don't have issues and would gladly provide the kind of support you are expecting.