Creating x100e recovery media on USB stick

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎07-05-2010 by
Modified ‎07-05-2010 by
(5,968 Views)

Creating x100e recovery media on USB stick

Question

I just got an X100e, and tried to create a factory recovery disk set. It offered me the choice of using a USB stick I had plugged in. I chose that, and it went through stages that said it was reformating the disk, writing the boot stuff and writing the other stuff. At the end I have a stick with over 5G of stuff on it, looking very much like a complete backup of the recovery material. However, it won't boot. An attempt to boot from this stick says there is no OS installed.

I can't try again, as you only get one shot. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Answer

Try looking at this page: New or used USB memory keys or USB flash drives require an active partition created from within Wind...

The recovery disk creator had reformatted the disk as NTFS, and apparently put everything on the USB stick OK. The only step i omitted was marking the partition active. I used DISKPART to set it to active, and I now seem to have a fully functional USB recovery disk.

Note: If the partition on the USB drive was created with Windows XP or any prior windows operating system, then the USB drive will fail to boot successfully, thus resulting in unusable recovery media.

This tip applicable to any of the following ThinkPad systems with a Windows 7 preloads in 32-bit or 64-bit versions:

• L410 and L510
  • R400, R500
  • SL410, SL510
  • T400, T400s, T410, T500, T510
  • W500, W510, W700, W700ds
  • X100e, X200, X200s, X200 Tablet, X301

Contributors