Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
kahin217

Date and Time Reset after battery removal??

Hi everyone,

I have a new X220 laptop. Since I have a desktop at home so I only use my laptop during business trip ocassionally.I always have my battery removed from laptop after each usage.I heard that this can prolong battery's life...

However, every time when I power up my laptop, it turns on and then turns off itself. At first i was wondering if this is due to the lack of battery. After connect it to my A/C source, it turned on and said System Date and time error and I needed to go into BIOS to reset it.

This is new to me as I didn't encounter such issue with older version of thinkpad. Did I miss something here? Pls help. Thanks!!

Alex

Punch Card
aaronho

Re: Date and Time Reset after battery removal??

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you may need your CMOS battery replaced.  It should not be a problem after you replace it.

Also, if you want to prolong your battery life, just detach it during computer use (use AC only).  Then while it is turned off I would actually plug it back in so your computer is never without a power source for an extended period of time.  

There are many studies suggested that battery life will start decaying after 2-3 years regardless what method you use.  I actually recommend making the most use out of it.  Hope it helps.

Paper Tape
beramodk

Have you solved the problem? I have having the same issue.

Thanks.

Token Ring
Rumle

Did you try the first suggestion about the Cmos battery? It's almost always the curse of this classic problem.

Cmos battery is that small, flat circle shaped battery you also find in watches. I think the name is C-123
Paper Tape
beramodk

I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure why I should... given that the machine is only 8 months old, and these cmos batteries are usually designed to last at least 3+ years! :smileysad:

I don't even know if they are accessible in the x220. help!
Token Ring
ccl13

Call the support and have them replace it. It won't be a problem, your warranty should of course cover it.

Remove your battery won't help with its life, this is a long existed bull**bleep**. It is true that will help, but the effect is so insignificant that other methods are much more effective, like to lower your battery's charge threshold.

For your data safety, I suggest you have it plugged always. This will help prevent damage to the hardware and your data in accidents like unplug during usage, and keep the clock running. Also travelling with battery will make your X220 into a power pack for your USB chargeable devices.
---------------------------------------------------------
[2011]X220-4286-CTO(Brand new, hope nothing bad will happen to it...)[2008]X61-7673-CV2(Slipped upon it, but also working)[2002]X31-2672-BCH(Broke screen, but still working!)
Token Ring
ccl13

Just for reference:
http://leadorg.wordpress.com/technology/thinkvantage-power-manager/how-to-tpm-to-prolong-your-batter...

This is a link posted by @lead_org, a much better way to prolong battery life.
---------------------------------------------------------
[2011]X220-4286-CTO(Brand new, hope nothing bad will happen to it...)[2008]X61-7673-CV2(Slipped upon it, but also working)[2002]X31-2672-BCH(Broke screen, but still working!)
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

time to call warranty, if your cmos battery is going dead within 8 months.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft