Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
sandy_e_eta

Decoding the Error Messages to fix problems after using Update My System

hello,I have a ThinkPad X60 (Model 6365-CTO) running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition (SP 3).  recently my fingerprint reader quit working.  Thinking that a driver or software upgrade might help, I decided to use the Update My System program (after quite a  while of not doing so) by punching the  blue ThinkVantage key.  After the better part of an hour, The program downloaded and installed 10 or 11 "upgrades", one of them being a bios upgrade.  Upon rebooting, the system starts Windows OK, but after less than a minute of running, I get a BSOD.  (Sorry I can't quote the error message provided for reasons to follow)   I finally was able to boot to safe mode and disabled as many services and start up programs as I thought was reasonable.  It seemed to have been effective, but there was something causing a system 'ding' about every minute.  I went back into msconfig and turned back on what looked to be the more important services and startup programs.  I now get no BSOD, but instead get a repeated "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message with the error signature:

BCCode : 1000007e     BCP1 : C0000005     BCP2 : 885182C0     BCP3 : 9F78EBE4
BCP4 : 9F78E8E0     OSVer : 5_1_2600     SP : 3_0     Product : 256_1

Reviewing the System Event Viewer for errors reveals a number of system errors, category (102) event 1003 and the details within show Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 885182c0, parameter3 9f78ebe4, parameter4 9f78e8e0.

This means nothing to me.  Is there any way to identify the culprit that is causing the error?  Should I expect to have total crashes like this after only using the Lenovo system update utility?

Thanks in advance for any help that might be available.