Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
greggebhardt

Differences in the X301 128gb SSD and the Intel 80gb SSD

Has anyone change from the stock X301 SSD to the new Intel 80gb SSD and seen any real speed difference.

Does this 80gb Intel SSD really perform better?

Serial Port
law663

Re: Differences in the X301 128gb SSD and the Intel 80gb SSD

Hi,

I have an X200 with Intel 80 gb SSD; my mom has an X301 with the 128.  I don't think there's much difference, plus there's this ominous sign that the Intel SSD's may have problems. 

What's frustrating is that Intel has supposedly released a firmware upgrade, but I'm unable to install it. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
greggebhardt

Why are you unable to install the firmware for the Intel Drive.

I ran several tests before and after changing from the 128gb SSD to the Intel 80gb SSD and the Intel won by a small margin.

I stll have the original SSD so I can change them out any time.

This is my 3rd X301 purchased for my company and I am keeping this one for myself.  My only complaint with all three units is a hesitation exhibited, sometimes, when using the keyboard or using the touchpad.  Some times the laptop seems to be busy with something else and when done all of the text I have typed in the last few seconds pops up on the screen.  The touch-pad just seems to go dead for a few seconds at a time and then comes back to life.  These exact same things happened on all three X301 units.

Serial Port
law663

[ Edited ]

I can't update the SSD becasue to do so requires one to disable the power-on password.  From what I understand, this can be done from the BIOS menu, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.  When I click on the power-on password "enable/disable" line in the BIOS, I'm prompted to enter a new password - but I can't seem to disable it. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the mutiple system crashes I experience are related to the SSD.  Everything else is up to date.  Yet several times a day, usually a few minutes after resuming from sleep, the entire system freezes.  I once was able to have process explorer going when this happened and it showed system process at 50% but none of the sub-system processes with any values.  Don't know what to make of it other than it's very disappointing as my X200 is only about 2 months old (and the only 3rd party software I have is Office 2007, Acrobat 9, and Norton Internet Secuirty 2009).  

Message Edited by law663 on 05-15-2009 11:27 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
greggebhardt

I think you might have another problem.  Too many SSD being used and to tell you the truth, I do not think your laptop know if their is a SSD or conventional drive.  I had a simular problem with a Lenovo laptop several years ago and Lenovo replaced the mother board and never had a problem after that.

If it is under warranty I would send it in for sure.

Serial Port
law663

Yeah, I've been thinking I need to do that.  The problem is that I use my ThinkPad every day for buisness.  To go without it would really put be behind at work.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
greggebhardt

I know it will not make you feel alot better, but when I sent mine in on Monday, to Atlanta, it arrived back on Wednesday.  Pretty quick, yet 3 days!
Serial Port
law663

That is fast.  What did they repair?
community supermod
erik

law663 wrote:

When I click on the power-on password "enable/disable" line in the BIOS, I'm prompted to enter a new password - but I can't seem to disable it.

enter the previous password on the first line and leave the second two lines blank.   this will change the password to an empty set and disable it altogether.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Ctrl-Alt-Del
greggebhardt

This was another laptop over a year ago.  Has nothing to do with the X301.  It was a T61p and they replace the motherboard.