Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jpiemont

Re: X Series Laptops

I have several years with both (e.g., T20 with trackpoint only, T42p with both, x61s with TP only, x201s with TP only, cntrasted with Toshiba P3500 with pad only, etc. - you get the picture - I buy a lot of computers - mostly thinkpads), and I think a properly placed and well functioning touchpad is easily as good, probably better, then the red nipple.  When adjusted and place right, as it was withthe T42p, it is directly under your thumbs and you can scroll all over, double tap to select, etc, all without ever removing your "working" digits from the keys. My frustration with the trackpoint/nib is that it is hard to adjust to get the right sensitivity - you either have to put up with tortiose like "all the way across the screen" movements or you overshoot back and forth trying to get to the tiny little check boxes you are trying to select.  Somehow the touchpads (properly implemented) can deal with that. That's JMHO though. 

Serial Port
wfaz

Bananaman,

Believe me, I am trying.  BTW - the center button on the trackpoint, which is supposed to enable scrolling, seems to have many of the same problems as does the touchpad scroll feature.  I don't lose the window with the trackpoint scroll, as with the touchpad; however, the application does not scroll.  So Adobe Illustrator scrolls beautifully with the wheel on my USB mouse, does not scroll at all with the center button on the trackpoint, and hoses up the window with the scroll feature of the touchpad.  So much for the trackpoint.

BTW - I have used the trackpoint on airplanes due to space limitations making touchpad access difficult.  I want both the trackpoint and the touchpad to work.  Having both of them would be a big plus for the X300 - if only they both worked.

WFaz

Serial Port
wfaz

JP,

I like both trackpoint and touchpad.  But scrolling with Illustrator, Access, and Remote Desktop does not work with either one.  The trackpoint center button enables scrolling on a lot of applications, but it does not scroll Illustrator at all.  If you open a table in Access, the trackpoint will scroll it both ways, but if you are in the dB window, it does not scroll at all.  Actually, the touchpad scrolling is more predictable in Access.  The touchpad scroll feature makes Illustrator go nuts. 

Although it is extremely erratic and unpredictable I am guessing that the problem with this driver is that it does not know which window is active, and it sends its wheel events to the wrong window.  I have seen drivers that can't figure out which window is under the cursor until you click in the window, but I am guessing that this driver can't register the window even if you have clicked in it.

The truly frustrating thing is that the wheel on a USB mouse ALWAYs works just like I expect it to work with ALL applications I have tried.  All we need is a touchpad/trackpoint driver that emulates a garden variety USB mouse.  How difficult can that be?

WFaz 

Community SuperMod
bananaman

wfaz is right - it is bogus that ThinkPad pointing devices don't scroll in iTunes, some popular Adobe apps, and others. Lenovo should do something about this.

As for the TrackPoint, I remember the frustration I had when I started using it. I couldn't point at anything properly. The cursor would start drifting this way and that. The center scroll would go so fast I couldn't control it. Even now I run with Press To Select disabled, because I keep doing it by accident.

With some practice I came to love my TrackPoint. Be gentle. If it starts drifting, let go until it stops.

I don't have to move my hands from the keyboard to use it. It is as precise for me as any mouse or touchpad. I admire the efficiency of the design - just a little red tip. The TouchPad on the UltraNav ThinkPads is a big chunk of redundant hardware!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
wfaz

Just a reminder: the wonderful trackpoint, with center button pressed, does not send mousewheel events to Adobe Illustrator or to the Remote Desktop.  If the trackpoint worked, and only the touchpad did not work, there would be some incentive to learn the trackpoint.  As it is, I have this really cool, lightweight, and very expensive laptop, but I have to carry a USB mouse to efficiently use my main applications.  I should have done more homework before buying an X300 - HEADS UP TO POTENTIAL BUYERS.  THE X300 TRACKPOINT and TOUCHPAD DO NOT WORK WITH ADOBE APPLICATIONS.

WFaz