Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
devplayer

Dual Boot on SSD + HDD: MBR/GPT? UEFI/LEGACY?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a dual boot on my X220, but can't seem to get it working.

I tried to follow the tutorials available on ThinkWiki about SSD partitions and optimization, but it didn't work.

Also, I'm a bit confused between MBR and GPT, and UEFI and LEGACY, and Syslinux and Grub.

From what I read, it seems we're supposed to use GPT partitions with UEFI boot, which is what I'm trying to set up.

Have any of you successfully set up a dual boot Linux (Arch) + Windows (7 home) on SSD and HDD?

If so, could you give me the options you chose for partitioning and boot?

I'm thinking about a UEFI boot with GPT partitions.

For Linux, / (root) and /home on the SSD, and var on the HDD.

For Windows, I don't know. Should I install the whole OS on the SSD, and give it access to a DATA partition on the HDD?

I'm aware my post doesn't provide much information about my issues, but what I'm looking right now is a configuration that is known to be working on the X220, and on which I can focus my work.

Also, the configuration should minimize the number of read and write on the SSD.

Thank you

Topics: 16
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 15

Re: Dual Boot on SSD + HDD: MBR/GPT? UEFI/LEGACY?

I'm not too used with uefi machines, but what I'm doing usually is to install grub at the start of the linux partition, not on the mbr (say  on /dev/sda3 not on /dev/sda) then I use easybcd (from windows) to add the linux partiton (and any other OS) to the standard win7/win vista bootloader.

Blue Screen Again
devplayer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

can you confirm this method will correctly align my partitions?

Assuming easybcd will automatically create them (since you didn't mention it), can you also confirm it will position them using the most efficient way? (ie: having the OS and important partitions on SSD, and data on HDD?)

By the way, I'm not looking for the easy way to get it working, but the most efficient (power- and performance-wise)

Thanks!

devplayer wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

can you confirm this method will correctly align my partitions?

This has nothing to do with partition alignements. If they are aligned will be aligned, if they aren't...

Assuming easybcd will automatically create them (since you didn't mention it), can you also confirm it will position them using the most efficient way?

Easy bcd manages just the boot loader, you have to choose ho partition the disks, then easybcd can be used to add the OSes to your boot loader, that's all

them using the most efficient way? (ie: having the OS and important partitions on SSD, and data on HDD?)

By the way, I'm not looking for the easy way to get it working, but the most efficient (power- and performance-wise)

Thanks!

Obviously you have to install your main OS (or your main OSes) in the speedier disk (which is clearly the SSD in a hybryd configuration),and a secondary OS in the slower one (or yse it just as a data/backup unit).

BTW it's just matter of personal needs and preferences.

Blue Screen Again
devplayer

You first tell me you use easybcd to make the partitions, and then you tell me that easybcd manages the bootloader, but I have to choose how to partition the disk... You say it has nothing to do with partition alignment, but unlike HDD, SSD partitions do need to be correctly aligned, and sometimes this has to be done manually. Also, I plan on installing both OS on the SSD, but keep the data on the HDD. Thank you.

If somebody could provide a tutorial as to how I can install Windows or Linux in UEFI mode, using GPT partitions on the X220, that would be great.

By the way, I currently have the BIOS 1.21, and since I don't have Windows on my computer (the image I was supposed to use to resintall it doesn't work, so I only have Arch Linux on it), is there any I can upgrade to 1.26?

Thank you.

devplayer wrote:

You first tell me you use easybcd to make the partitions

No, you asked for an easy way to have a dual boot system, that's the easy way.

. You say it has nothing to do with partition alignment, but unlike HDD, SSD partitions do need to be correctly aligned, and sometimes this has to be done manually. Also, I plan on installing both OS on the SSD, but keep the data on the HDD. Thank you.

Partitions mus be aligned n SSD and on advanced format HDD, practically almost any disk sold nowadays

Win 7 takes care of it, it align any disk, no matter if old or new.

Just use seven to partition the disk, eventually just reformat one of them with the linux fdisk or the graphical partition tool you are going to use.

Blue Screen Again
devplayer

I NEVER asked for an easy way, please don't invent things.

I'll take your word regarindg windows correctly aligning the partitions. Thanks.

I was trying to do it manually, following this article:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Tips_for_Maximizing_SSD_Performance

Also, the X220 doesn't support GPT partitions when booted from BIOS, which is why I need UEFI.

But I can't get my usb stick to boot in UEFI mode, so I installed Windows from BIOS, and I guess I'll just install Arch using MBR partitions as well. Hopefully it won't reduce the lifetime and performances of my SSD too much.