Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: Failure to flash the BIOS on X120e

@UnhappyUser,

PM sent ... check inbox please.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
timeisup

It was a total black screen :smileysad: I've already contacted the service center and ready to get it shipped back

Paper Tape
waynehui

[ Edited ]

Same here, I am updating Bios as I type.  It has been 30 mins now, the screen is freez, and I am still waiting.

Rebooted, NOTHING, just black screen, can't even see the Bios setting screen.

What should I do NEXT? 

:smileymad:  Not a happy customer.

Fanfold Paper
working1

Not clear from the postings which bios update method was used.  Windows or boot from a CD?  From past experience, I will never update a bios on any computer from Windows.  Been there, done that and it is not reliable.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Engineering have flashed more than 4 machines however they were unable to reproduce the failure. Please try the following before you flash the BIOS.

• Remove any USB devices
  • Remove any 3rd party RAM - Use only Lenovo Preload RAM
  • Cold Boot laptop before flashing laptop - Laptop should boot up from "Shutdown mode" and not Hibernate mode / Sleep Mode or reboot.
  • Ensure all antivirus or security software has been disabled
  • Ensure you have adminstrative rights on the laptop
  • AC and Battery should be plugged in at all times. Battery charge should be 80% and above.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Blue Screen Again
husky55

[ Edited ]

Exactly the same thing happened to me!!!  The last step of the bios 1.12 upgrade froze. What number to call from the US? I followed the upgrade direction to the letter as posted by jamez above.

Blue Screen Again
husky55

[ Edited ]

@waynehui,

Did you call Lenovo? What is the us number for Lenovo service?

@jameZ,

Is there anyway to recover the bios by the end user? I am trying to avoid sending in the X120e which is less than 3 week old for repair. There is nothing wrong with my X120e except for the last bios upgrade. I only upgrade the bios in the hope that it would help with an incompatibility problem with the Rosewill USB DVD burner using Teac drive.

Guru
HiVolt

I just updated to 1.12 BIOS with the Windows utility. Went smoothly.

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Retired Employee
JameZ

@husky55,

Did you break your machine while trying to upgrade the BIOS? Also do you mean the BIOS you are flashing is 1.11? There is no 1.12 available.

You can find the warranty service provider near your area via link provided below.

http://www1.partnerinfo.lenovo.com/us/en/dealerlocator.shtml

//JameZ

Blue Screen Again
husky55

[ Edited ]

Hi JameZ,

I am in the US and we have a X120E bios version 1.12 available. The original BIOS on my X120e was 1.11. I believe the file name is 8fuj05uc.exe.  The 1.11 bios file is 8fuj04uc.exe.

I flashed inside Windows 7 64 bit. It should not make any difference but it did. Frankly I have done MB and laptops upgrades for years and have always been very careful and successful. This is the first time for me in the last 15 years. I have about a couple of systems every year.

It is possible that I made a mistake, whatever that was. But the upgrade went very smoothly and only stop at the last step and then it just froze. I downloaded and made a CD bios with the ISO file from Lenovo but the computer would not boot.

My happy story is the Lenovo support has been very understanding and helpful. They gave me 2 options. 1. Money back since the laptop is less than 2 weeks old. 2. Or send it in for repair. I chose #2. So it will be fixed somehow. I just wish it did not happen and that I would be able to fix it myself.

Thx again,