Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
min0me

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Hello, I received mine today, with the core i5 and an IPS display and as much as I hoped and didn’t want to believe all the stuff mentioned in the forums, I too seam to have the noisy fan (with the high pitched noise) and the IPS ghosting..

i was thinking could it be due to a heat issue?

Most IPS displays are powered by CFFL lights which generally give off a little heat and so keep the pannel warm (making it faster to react?)  where as this is LED and has no heat being given off? (making it slower?)

i have a dell u3011 which is also an LG ips and it is warm to touch with the CCFL lighting..

I’m based in the UK if that makes any difference.

So I guess the hard part now is to decide if its going back or not..

on a side note, has everyone here logged a problem with support or have are you just reading here waiting for an answer?

Token Ring
jyeah

min0me wrote:

Hello, I received mine today, with the core i5 and an IPS display and as much as I hoped and didn’t want to believe all the stuff mentioned in the forums, I too seam to have the noisy fan (with the high pitched noise) and the IPS ghosting..

i was thinking could it be due to a heat issue?

Most IPS displays are powered by CFFL lights which generally give off a little heat and so keep the pannel warm (making it faster to react?)  where as this is LED and has no heat being given off? (making it slower?)

i have a dell u3011 which is also an LG ips and it is warm to touch with the CCFL lighting..

I’m based in the UK if that makes any difference.

So I guess the hard part now is to decide if its going back or not..

on a side note, has everyone here logged a problem with support or have are you just reading here waiting for an answer?

First of all, whoever started this thread or the forum moderator should really retitle this post to "Image Persistence on X220 IPS screen" instead of ghosting. I think it's a very misleading term as the panel does not actually exhibit any slow lag ghosting effect as far as I can tell (but maybe I'm wrong).

I never really thought that keeping the panel warm would make the IPS panels react faster. I don't think that's how it works.

However, I never had the noisy fan issue. So if it's really not a quality build, you could return it. Sounds reasonable if you're not satisfied with the product.

Serial Port
Alexo

Mark_Lenovo wrote:
We have a formal case open with engineering, but the contacts I have spoken with consider this a normal characteristic of the panel so far.    The general discussion is that images can ghost after about 10 mins, and will clear on their own after 15-20 mins. 

Mark,

If lenovo considers ghosting after 10 minutes a NORMAL characteristic of a PREMIUM display, we might as well get ourselves an Acer, Asus or Dell for half the price and no ghosting.

You are doing an excellent job driving prospective customers to the competition.

Punch Card
MaBa

Actually, yes it DOES have a ghosting effect when watching high contrast fast movements, that I don't experience on any other screen. So ghosting is correct in the title, maybe it should be done the other way around and image persistance should be added to the title.

Token Ring
jyeah

MaBa wrote:

Actually, yes it DOES have a ghosting effect when watching high contrast fast movements, that I don't experience on any other screen. So ghosting is correct in the title, maybe it should be done the other way around and image persistance should be added to the title.

I see. Then yeah, "Image Persistence and Ghosting on X220(/T) IPS Screen"

Punch Card
min0me

i called to report the problem and was told my computer may be slow and thats whats causing the problem even though ive installed nothing and had it less then 24h

Token Ring
jyeah

Re: Are there any Lenovo X220 owners with IPS that don't notice ghosting?

The "image persistence" ghosting really occurs after 10+ minutes of idle stationay screen and at high brightness (at least that's what I'm seeing).

Blue Screen Again
kilou

Is it possible that this "image persistence" or "ghosting" may be due to a screen burnin process not done properly? I mean some TV screens such as plasma units need some time to settle and during their first, say 50h, of use you shouldn't use them at full contrast/brightness settings. I know nothing about screen tech and I understand an IPS screen is no plasma but could it be possible that using quick image cycling for the first 50h of use at half brightness may prevent the image persistence for later use???

Token Ring
jyeah

kilou wrote:

Is it possible that this "image persistence" or "ghosting" may be due to a screen burnin process not done properly? I mean some TV screens such as plasma units need some time to settle and during their first, say 50h, of use you shouldn't use them at full contrast/brightness settings. I know nothing about screen tech and I understand an IPS screen is no plasma but could it be possible that using quick image cycling for the first 50h of use at half brightness may prevent the image persistence for later use???

Can someone confirm this? I really don't know anything about displays, but I want to fix this image persistence thing.

802.11n
RichardW

No, plasma technology is completely different from LCD and the burn-in process does not apply. IPS is a type of LCD display.