Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
kilou

Re: Are there any Lenovo X220 owners with IPS that don't notice ghosting?

Yes plasma is of course not IPS but the fact that people experience image persistence for prolonged time (about 10-15 min) seems like a kind of burnin process...and not a ghosting actually. The screen is kind of "burnt" by the image and this is similar to what happens to plasma displays although we are looking at different technologies. So different technologies, yes, but maybe a similar cure??? Has anyone already tried to go through a fast image cycling process at half brightness for about 24h (or more) and see if the image persistence remains after that? I'm sure it's not that simple but if anyone could try (I myself cannot do the test as I have stopped my X220 order due to this screen issue + fan noise and I wait for a fix before possibly reordering...or will simply move to another brand).

802.11n
RichardW

It is not the nature of LCD characteristics. I don't see the possibility at all.
Punch Card
min0me

I have tried this for an hour or so

The task bar still remains when you switch to a film or a dark picture that covers it

I use the laptop screen at 5-6 which is bright enough and it is noticeable.

I'm testing the panel against a Dell U3011 IPS display ( which is an LG panel I think) and was made in April and I received it just before my x220 arrived.

it doesn’t exhibit any problems what-so ever (though you pay a premium to have it checked for things like this).

I shouldn’t really compare them as its two different price ranges and markets these panels fall into, but it has the same underlying technology, so i  could loosely do so and say its not a result of the technology used, its how its been used..

Blue Screen Again
kilou

More specifically, this is probably what needs to be tried:

http://www.syeager.org/misc/image_presistence.php

Not a solution though but worth a try. 

What's DOS?
florakel

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

I have the same issue. "burn in" images that go away after a couple of minutes. Also the colors are totally off when comparing to various LCDs in dual screen mode.

When I have a solid grey background the image fickers. First noticed that in Tweetdeck.

I expect something better considering the premium I paid for the IPS screen.

Serial Port
Alexo

I've have two Dell IPS monitors at home (2005FPW and 2209WA) and neither exhibits any image retention.

At work we have many NEC IPS monitors (LCD1970NX mostly) and not a single one has image retention issues.

I see two possible causes for the problem:

1) Lenovo got some defective panels from the manufacturer.

In that case, they can order and test new batches and offer free replacements.

2) Lenovo knowingly ordered crappy panels to cut costs while still advertising it as "premium" (and charging more for it).

In that case, they should source a better model and offer free replacements.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
der72

Has anyone try the "solution" kilou posted earlier under message 114?

Quote: "More specifically, this is probably what needs to be tried:

http://www.syeager.org/misc/image_presistence.php"
802.11n
RichardW

[ Edited ]

It's not a "solution", considering that it says to run the procedure for 20 minutes. Within that time, the persistence would have disappeared by itself without doing anything.

It is not an unknown problem. Do a Google search for "LCD image persistence" and you'll get many hits and similar procedures described. Even Apple has a support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807

However, most of the articles deal with long term image persistence, after burning in for a long time. On the X220, the problem is essentially the same but the persistence both occurs and disappears in a much shorter time scale (minutes instead of hours).

802.11n
JNavas

FWIW my IPS screen has no ghosting or light leakage issues.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Blue Screen Again
kilou

What I meant is to try running this cycle for extended period of time (24-48h, not 20min). It is not to get rid of a particular image persistence but to somehow "train" the LC to change orientation and avoid future image persistence. One critical thing may be temperature: if the liquid cristals is too cold, the "liquid" will be too thick and hence crystals may have difficulties to change orientation, which may result in more image persistence. Does anyone know if the image persistence lessens in hot temperatures??