Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
nicbex

Betreff: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Yes, but either way it is related to the monitor and not the graphic card, i.e. it has nothing to do with a second monitor.

Fanfold Paper
silencer51

Yesterday I placed an order on an i7 X220 with the IPS screen. I'm hoping that this manufacturing defect has been rectified in newer batches.

Either way, every X220 comes with a 3-year warranty, and since this appears to be a common problem I don't doubt that owners who are bothered by the issue will be able to have their screens replaced without hassle. And we have the internet to thank for that (various forums, youtube, etc.) One just needs to have patience until LG rectify the issue and begin producing a new panel revision (the problem may already have been fixed).

As for the causes of image persistence.. I have been using only IPS displays for the past 10 years, most of them LG models. My older 21" 4:3 LG TFT used an IPS panel (one of the very first) and after about 5-6 years of continuous operation it developed severe 'burn in' (image persistence) on the top and bottom - where the taskbar and window title bars are). On my newer monitors I make sure to keep things on the screen as fluid as possible (taskbar is set to autohide, screen saver at 4 minutes etc.)

As for the X220's screen issue, backlight has nothing to do with it (my old LG used CCFL backlight) - this is a panel problem and the root cause is most likely the liquid crystal solution used in the display (the crystals don't align back to their original position as they should). This should be easy to fix at the manufacturing stage, however in large scale operations such as LCD panel manufacturing a lot of problematic batches leave the factory before the error is rectified.

Guru
HiVolt

Yeah this isn't unique to the X220's screen. I've had many LCD screens over the years at home and at work, and even expensive 30" Dell 3007WFP has burn ins.

But its surprising that it develops very quickly on the X220. I noticed it only after a week. I will wait for a while and then have it replaced, perhaps the screens will have gone thru a revision like mentioned above.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Fanfold Paper
silencer51

Perhaps there is a way to isolate the problem to specific panel model numbers, it would be wise when someone posts about this problem to also post their panel model number (using Windows, Device Manager -> Monitors -> Generic PnP Monitor -> Details -> Hardware Ids). Due to the rarity of the panel (the only 12,5" IPS currently in the market, to my knowledge) I doubt there is more than one revision out there, but who knows...

802.11n
JNavas

silencer51 wrote:
Either way, every X220 comes with a 3-year warranty...

FYI, the base X220 warranty is one year.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

silencer51 wrote:

Perhaps there is a way to isolate the problem to specific panel model numbers, it would be wise when someone posts about this problem to also post their panel model number (using Windows, Device Manager -> Monitors -> Generic PnP Monitor -> Details -> Hardware Ids). Due to the rarity of the panel (the only 12,5" IPS currently in the market, to my knowledge) I doubt there is more than one revision out there, but who knows...

My X220 IPS panel, which does not exhibit ghosting or leakage, shows in Device Manager as:

Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768
     Hardware Ids: MONITOR\LEN40E2

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Puppy wrote:

Evidently there is no fix for this hardware problem except lowering the overdrive level (if used, but it requires to replace the damaged panel anyway). On the other hand LG is biggest producer of IPS panels but the quality does not have the best reputation. For example Eizo uses Hitachi panels in their top models which is extremely expensive of course.

Regardless of it, image persistence occuring in 15 minutes on a new panel is hardware fault (of the panel or the driver electronics) without any doubts. And again, I have never noticed such problem on my seven years old IPS panel made by IDTech. Also I can't remember that so many people would complain about Boe-Hydis AFFS panels used in old ThinkPads nor the last batch of IPS panels in T60 made by LG-Philips.

It sad that X201 with (good old CCFL backlight) Boe-Hydis AFFS screen mod is still the winner :smileysad: and you get 800 vertical pixels as bonus.

That is, of course, nothing more than sheer speculation. :smileywink:

Hope that helps,
John
802.11n
JNavas

Amscram wrote:
[BIG SNIP]
Anyhow, in the worst case scenario, if Lenovo really does refuse to fix these faulty screens, we could all send in our laptops for "repair" once every six months to have a new screen put on them in hopes that they finally get a working batch. I have two x220t's and a 3 year warranty on each, so that will be 12 screen changes I'll ask for. (I wonder if it would be less expensive for Lenovo to just fix the screen at this time?)

Has anyone else considered re-sending your laptop in for repair in hopes that the screen will be fixed by then?

How about we just wait a bit for Lenovo to provide definitive information?

Uninformed speculation in the meantime is not terribly helpful. :smileywink:

Hope that helps,
John
SCSI Port
MikeM

I think if one takes some time to research the subject of "image sticking" they will find adequate information to substantiate the idea that the phenomenon being discussed in this thread is directly related to panel contaminants and the electrical characteristics of the drive electronics.

Paper Tape
DesktopMan

JNavas wrote:

My X220 IPS panel, which does not exhibit ghosting or leakage, shows in Device Manager as:

Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768
     Hardware Ids: MONITOR\LEN40E2

My panel that does have the issue has the same hardware id, so that's that.