Ctrl-Alt-Del
der72

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

@JNavas

Is your X220 on this list?

Affected Configurations

Any of the following ThinkPad with the following Machine Types (MT):

• X220 and X220i MT: 4286, 4287, 4289, 4290, 4291, 4292, and 4293
  • X220 Tablet and X220i Tablet MT: 4294, 4296, 4297, 4298, 4299, 4300, and 4301

Punch Card
tendant

I received depot serviced x220 recently. It was sent to lenovo service center in Memphis for this IPS issue last week. Two photos were included in the package, which clearly show the ghosting issue. But in the end, I only got a peice of report saying it passed all tests.

Only from the new dent on the memory cover cap, I know they did touch this machine, instead of just sending it back.

Now lenovo says I need turn off screen or run screen saver for preventing this issue. But this ghosting issue happens during normal use. What can I do now? Just live with it? 

SCSI Port
MikeM

Doesn't Lenovo also offer a TN panel in the X220?  Assuming that TN panel typically doesn't have a significant image sticking problem and assuming its other characteristics are acceptable, then perhaps swapping panels would be one option?

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

der72 wrote:

@JNavas

Is your X220 on this list?

Affected Configurations

Any of the following ThinkPad with the following Machine Types (MT):

• X220 and X220i MT: 4286, 4287, 4289, 4290, 4291, 4292, and 4293
  • X220 Tablet and X220i Tablet MT: 4294, 4296, 4297, 4298, 4299, 4300, and 4301

Yes, my X220 is 4286CTO

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

JU

tendant wrote:

I received depot serviced x220 recently. It was sent to lenovo service center in Memphis for this IPS issue last week. Two photos were included in the package, which clearly show the ghosting issue. But in the end, I only got a peice of report saying it passed all tests.

Only from the new dent on the memory cover cap, I know they did touch this machine, instead of just sending it back.

Now lenovo says I need turn off screen or run screen saver for preventing this issue. But this ghosting issue happens during normal use. What can I do now? Just live with it? 

What I would do is contact Lenovo Support IN WRITING, and POLITELY insist on repair, replacement, or return for full refund.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
imbcms1

[ Edited ]

I noticed the Ghosting on my X220Tablet 4294CTO for the first time after doing a 75 minute system restore with Rescue & Recovery.  The outline was so obvious that I noticed it without having to look for it.  I also notice it when looking at images or pictures for any significant period of time.  I heard about this problem being common in monitors before I was born...  Never imagined I would experience it myself.  Wow!!! it's like I opened a time capsule to another era.

In all seriousness though:

Lenovo,

Can you imagine if a radiologist, pathologist or other physician is viewing images from his/her laptop at home (not terribly uncommon) and the laptop happens to be this Lenovo X220? (again not uncommon, lenovos seem to be well represented at my hospital anyways)  I know it's unlikely but the ghosting might cause someone to miss or over read something.  This is particularly problematic if they are looking at a string of the same types of images (For example, a physician running through all the past EKG's or CXR's from home or their office to make sure they have a interpretation on record in the hospital computer system).

At the very least, a shadow here or there might raise an eyebrow or be annoying to the physician. If you're not going to fix it fine. I get it.  It costs too much to solve this problem.  But maybe put it in the manual (or other literature) that the screen is prone to ghosting and that this is "normal" for the screen.  That way consumers can properly decide whether the product you are selling (flaws included, they are flaws stop denying it) is something that fits their needs.

(As a lowly medical student even I find the ghosting annoying particularly if I'm reviewing radiological anatomy on an XR for several minutes or if I leave an XR on my screen for more than 20 minutes).

Ctrl-Alt-Del
der72

@tendant
I would call Lenovo and tell them that no other companies IPS screen has image retention issues at this level therefore you want 100% refund including your shipping.

@JameZ
I asked couple of simple questions and you seem to ignore them. I think what your engineering team is saying does not cover 100% the truth. So please provide us a list of manufacturers who sell IPS displays or laptops with the same level of image retention after 10-15 minutes!

Look, it is not normal that you have to run screen saver instead of using the laptop for productive work. If that's the final word from you engineers then I think Lenovo went down the chute for many of us.
SCSI Port
MikeM

@imbcms1: I think you have provided another valuable example of how such an issue can interfere with one's work.  However, is a consumer grade, low-resolution, 6-bit, not professionally calibrated display... even one without an image sticking problem... an appropriate display to be using for medical imaging?  I'm inclined to think not, and once actually told a doctor that in a polite way (I asked to see the image displayed on a larger higher quality display and was very pleased to learn that he actually had one in his office).  Put another way, I think it essential that all doctors be steered away from using consumer grade crap for such important work.  They should know better, and if anyone here runs into one that doesn't, they should give them a polite education.  Consumer grade gear often comes with a warning/disclaimer that it is not to be used for medical purposes.  They make medical grade equipment, including some impressive displays, for a reason.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
der72

MikeM
I really hope that you were joking, right? The X220 is pretty much targeted to professionals. Besides, the year is 2011 and not 1995. The bottom line is that no other companies have IPS sceens with this severe issue. I could not find one made in 2011.

I think it is time for Lenovo to come clean on this one before people start posting in other places. And btw quite few hospitals buy X220s for their doctors.
Paper Tape
DesktopMan

No offence, but that "statement" from Lenovo reads like a "f*** you" to anyone who is affected by this issue, which seems to be quite a large number of people.

This issue can in no way be explained away with half truths (aka lies) and technobabble. Either replace the screens or find a way to fix them without replacement, which at this point I believe is not possible.