Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Alexo

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Have you considered that some of the people bought a Lenovo only because of the advertised IPS panel?

Blue Screen Again
kilou

Exactly! And this is why it is important that now reviews mention that the ips in the x220 is faulty. I feel sorry for people who bought the x220 with ips and i don't know what would be an acceptable solution for them beside a full refund. As i cancel my order on time, i'm not affected myself but i cannot stand the fact that the x220 is often awarded the editor's choice in reviews simply because of the ips screen whereas these reviews should mention these issues.
Punch Card
kungfuchicken

white text glow

[ Edited ]

Hello

I've been following the post about the ghosting issue and while checking to see if I have it (yes) I've noticed that when switching from a darker color, white text like the title bar or subtitles have a glow and lighter colored space like windows appear darker. The latter doesn't really bother me but the glow is kind of distracting because most of the subtitles I have are white and while it often corrects itself after about 3-5 secs, when it happens I could only see the faint outline of the letters and I usually have to rewind a bit. Is this part of the ghosting issue or is it something else?

P.S About the ghosting, it doesn't really bother me as I can only see it when a solid dark color is displayed and had static images for 15+ mins but I do have it.

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

white text glow

Agotthelf
Topics: 136
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 175

Re: white text glow

Hello kungfuchicken, welcome to Lenovo forums!

Please tell us your model, not S/N number, you´ll find it if you check the bottom case of your machine.

Kind regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T510, X220t, T61.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

802.11n
JNavas

Amphibulus wrote:

It is everyone that is affected by this problem?

No. My IPS screen works very well.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

photonewyork wrote:

TN panels just won't cut it for photos.  I agree 100% that the problem is not IPS (I am using a 27" IPS monitor that has zero ghosting) and downgrading to TN is not a solution for those of us who bought the Lenovo for its IPS panel.

I often use TN screens for serious photo editing.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

Amscram wrote:

@Amphibulus
One or two people here have posted that they received good screens. The majority of us are having moderate to severe troubles. It seems as if the entire batch was bad, but still a few good ones slipped through "accidentally"?

That's not a valid generalization -- support forums are not random samples, since those with problems are much more likely to visit them than those with no problems. There's no real evidence here of what percentage of screens are affected, just speculation.

Hope that helps,
John
Punch Card
Amscram

[ Edited ]

JNavas is correct. There is no real evidence here of what percentage of screens are affected, just speculation and opinions based on direct personal experience. The only people who know for certain how many faulty IPS screens were sold to unsuspecting customers is Lenovo. Unfortunately, Lenovo's silence and unwillinglness to own up to their mistake has created this atmosphere of speculation.

All we can be certain of is:

1. That majority of people who posted here have faulty screens.

2. There are just as many reports on several other forums from people with faulty x220 screens.

3. Lenovo acknowledged that customers are receiving problematic screens.

4. At least one or more people have posted that their screens work well.

5. JNavas is one of those few people. 

If the exact percentages are released of how many people were sold IPS screens with bad light bleeding and image persistence troubles, I am certain it will be posted here.  

Paper Tape
photonewyork

In no way am I trying to be offensive but most professional photo editing is done on non-TN screens.  I'm not going to comment on what you are doing because I have no idea of your work or TN screen.  However, you are the exception.  That's like saying, I shoot with a film Holga and I'm a professional photographer, that's great but you would be in a tiny, tiny niche.  Apple uses IPS screens for their photo oriented monitors.  Eizo, NEC use IPS screens for their photo oriented monitors.  If the TN panel was sufficient for most professionals, then why spend $$$.

Getting a bit off topic here.  The point is, Lenovo advertised their IPS screens to attract a certain customer and they are not fulfilling their end of this implied deal. 

JNavas wrote:

photonewyork wrote:

TN panels just won't cut it for photos.  I agree 100% that the problem is not IPS (I am using a 27" IPS monitor that has zero ghosting) and downgrading to TN is not a solution for those of us who bought the Lenovo for its IPS panel.

I often use TN screens for serious photo editing.