Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
JNavas

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

[ Edited ]

Amscram wrote:
All we can be certain of is:
4. At least one or more people have posted that their screens work well.

5. JNavas is one of those few people.

Correction:

5. JNavas is one of those few people.

Those posting about screens working well are no more "few" than those posting about screens not working well. As I've explained previously, such comparisons are not meaningful.

All we can reliably say from what has been posted here is that some IPS screens are good and some IPS screens exhibit problems.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
cybergibbons

Mine is fine as well.

802.11n
JNavas

photonewyork wrote:

In no way am I trying to be offensive but most professional photo editing is done on non-TN screens.  I'm not going to comment on what you are doing because I have no idea of your work or TN screen.  However, you are the exception.  That's like saying, I shoot with a film Holga and I'm a professional photographer, that's great but you would be in a tiny, tiny niche. [SNIP]

I respectfully disagree (as I've already explained in my earlier posts).

FWIW, my photo on a recent cover of Latitude 38 was edited on a TN screen,

likewise my photo for a recent ad by Doyle Sails.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

@ photonewyork & JNavas

Could we leave it at something like each photographer has their own preferences in the tools they choose and use to ply their trade effecting, for them personally, the results they require.

In other words, please agree to disagree so that this thread can stay on topic. :smileyhappy:

Thanks folks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
kilou

The simple fact that Lenovo issued an official statement mentionning that image persistence is normal for IPS screen means that all their IPS screens in the X220 are affected. The extent to which each screen is affected might differ, and the sensitivity of customers to this issue may vary as well. But Lenovo clearly mentions its a design of IPS (which obviously is NOT true) so they aknowledge that potentially all their X220 ips screens are affected.

It is true that people posting on forums are not a random sample of the customers. However when it comes to business machines like Lenovos, some of the posters here work in IT departments where several machines have been ordered at the same time. When some of such posters report issues on several machines at once, then the odds of this happening "by chance" become rather weak. The school from which I initially placed my order has now stopped offering the X220 with IPS because of several complaints about ghosting and the IT service could not manage all the questions. This is where I initially learned about the ghosting problem before visiting that website. So although I truely think that indeed we don't know to which extent people are affected by this issue, there is definitely a problem with these panels. The question for prospective buyers is: do you want to take a chance? For me it was a big NO because for coding for 8 hours a day, image persistence would quickly strain my eyes (not to mention the resolution is already a limitation for that purpose...). But yes I don't specifically need IPS and TN is just fine for me.

Serial Port
Alexo

I respectfully repeat my suggestion regarding contacting LG.Display and asking them:

(1) whether the image retention issue is a "feature" of that panel, and

(2) whether the image retention issue is a "feature" of all of their IPS panels.

Perhaps they may be able to offer some information that Lenovo cannot.

Punch Card
kungfuchicken

[ Edited ]

Hello

Model number is 4286CTO. Also it appears it's not just text, any lighter color has the glow though not as bothersome as the text.

Moderator edit: thanks for your model number, I merged your thread in here, because splitting the discussion about the same topic into different threads makes it harder to keep on track with the discussion.

WWAN
Puppy

Alexo wrote:

I respectfully repeat my suggestion regarding contacting LG.Display and asking them:

(1) whether the image retention issue is a "feature" of that panel, and

(2) whether the image retention issue is a "feature" of all of their IPS panels.

That wouldn't be good questions. The answer for 1 is 'yes', for 2 is also 'yes' because it is feature of all LCD panels regardless of its technology ( http://www.behardware.com/articles/615-1/lcds-with-persistent-images.html ). The important part is in what exact conditions it happens. Typically after lets say 20 hours of displaying a static image you can experience some kind of image retention. But here we are talking about very extreme case when it happens after 20 minutes that it can not be considered as "feature" but "fault".

WWAN
Puppy

[ Edited ]

kungfuchicken wrote:

I've been following the post about the ghosting issue and while checking to see if I have it (yes) I've noticed that when switching from a darker color, white text like the title bar or subtitles have a glow and lighter colored space like windows appear darker.

Interesting, it is typical sign of too strong overdrive level applied to the panel (http://www.behardware.com/articles/561-1/technical-aspects-lcds-overdrive-contrast-and-viewing-angle... ). Again, it would also explain the excessive image retention. Still wondering whether Lenovo can control overdrive level via BIOS.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Fanfold Paper
underst0rm

I had a look at several LG datasheets from here:

http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/laptop.lcd.panels.htm?showobsolete=on&showunofficial=on

and found no obvious way to change the overdrive voltage.