Support in other languages: 
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Aha got it. There are two ways of interpreting your post, and I got the other one :-S! As you say, the X220 Tablet has an outdoor display option, and the X220 non-tablet does not.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
Amscram

[ Edited ]

From that spec sheet, it sounds as if both screens were developed/planned at a similar time. Both sound equal with specifications.

Since the Outdoor display was just now released, several months after the multi-touch, do you know if that means it's a newer batch?

Some people are getting bad IPS screens, but I'm curious whether all these screens coincidentally come from the same original batch. The screens I bought and work on (all four x220t's) come from a large licensed Lenovo reseller.

Would everyone here please post the date you bought your x220(t) and the source?

Mine were between June 10 2011 and July 07 2011. The source was LaptopAuthority.com.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Please also PM to JameZ of Lenovo your Model Type and Serial Number, and whether you see the issue or not, if you haven't already.

Thanks!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
802.11n
JNavas

Amscram wrote:

Would everyone here please post the date you bought your x220(t) and the source?

The important date is the date of manufacture more than the date of purchase (since machines may be in distribution for varying periods of time), presumably why Lenovo is asking for serial numbers. Date of purchase would be most meaningful for CTO models purchased directly from Lenovo.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
Amphibulus

@Amscram

"I agree that casual laptop users tend to be less picky [...] For the photography and illustration I do daily, I need to analyze and work on the almost pixel by pixel level. So having such prominent amount of image persistence is completely horrible and less productive for me."

Yeah, a "professional users" that work on a 12 inch screen...

And no, I'm not "less picky", I always buy high end laptop each 3 yrs. T43 -> X300 > X220

But I do use an external screen for most of my work and the laptop screen when I'm on move. As I said, I can see the ghosting on some specific background, but it's really light and during the day to day usage I never notice it.

That being said, it's sad for those who are affected, but I really doubt they will do a recall since the screen it's probably the laptop part that cost the most money. So they will tell you that's a "normal" features even if it's not write on their website as a specification of the Premium HD screen.

ThinkPad X220, I7 2620M, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 160GB SSD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, Bluethoot, Cam, Win 7 pro 64, BIOS: 1.17, Model: 4286-CTO, Fabrication date: 07/11
Blue Screen Again
kilou

James, you are asking for serial nb of affected machines. Great! But as a manufacturer lenovo has plenty of unshipped x220 at quality control (providing such control actually exists...). Why not check these laptops first? You won't make us think lenovo cannot see any problems and new machines and ask for older machines to investigate. Otherwise please post since when image persistence has been solved on the assembly lines! I understand that you need information to investigate but there's not much to investigate here: turn on the x220 waiting to be shipped and see what is going on with these machines! Quality control is no customers job so first do your homework... No offense but it os probably time to move on a bit at lenovo!
Blue Screen Again
kilou

By the way, asking to PM serial nb etc to investigate a hardware issue and communicate with engineering is the least professional way to work, sorry! If lenovo cares about this issue, open a support page at lenovo.com so that users can log in securely and provide all the necessary information while getting some feedback and the ability to track the status of their complaint. Are you doing that? No. Do you think that PM on a forum is the way Thinkpad customers expect to interract with a supposedly professional laptop manufacturer? Come on, this ips issue seems to reveal flaws in hardware AND service at lenovo. Definitely not a good move.
Punch Card
Amscram

[ Edited ]

@Amphibulus

Yeah I tend to agree with you about the slim chance of a full recall. What I would prefer, and which may be more practical for Lenovo, is if they would simply offer a limited-time replacement screen for those who are affected most by the image persistence problem. Some only see the "ghosting" a little; some not at all; and some see it a lot.

Unfortunately I seem to have purchased my laptops from a more problematic batch. I think if I could see only a small amount of image persistence I would probably just ignore it too. The x220t is nice in several other aspects.

Most of my editing work is done on location assignments, with color managed workflow taking place in the studio itself. 12 inch works fine for my current needs and supplements when I am continuously away from my various Cintiqs. If only my screens weren't so messed up, I would be completely satisfied with my x220's.

May I ask, where did you buy your laptop from?

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Appreciate everyone's patience while the team work on this issue.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
Amscram

[ Edited ]

@JameZ

Thank you for keeping us informed. I hope Lenovo will at the least decide to replace the IPS screens displaying the worst side effects. As you already know, I followed your advice and waited for the "engineers' solution" to be posted here, which caused my refund time limit to run out.