Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
dbrane

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Another "me too" here. Just got my new X220 (4286-CTO, display model LP125WH2-SLB1), noticed the ghosting, found this thread. For me it's pretty much impossible to see the ghost images on black background, but on something grey-ish they are clearly visible. For those who really want to see whether they have a problem or not, try setting your background images to http://www.wooyd.org/images/x220.jpg - for me it shows the problem very clearly, and ghost images persist for at least a few minutes.
Paper Tape
justincwatt

Another me too. Was in the process of setting up Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) on my new X220 when I noticed that output of the terminal (white text on dark purple background), when left open for only a few minutes (~5), would persist on my desktop background for a minute or two. I haven't really used it to do anything serious yet (photo editing, etc) but I do find it mildly irritating, and like nothing I've experienced on any LCD panel. Ever.

I'm definitely in the affected lot (4286-CTO, per the support doc). Ordered my X220 with the premium display on Aug 2, it arrived on Aug 12, but didn't get around to setting it up until today. It's a holiday weekend in the US. Will call Lenovo on Tuesday.

Paper Tape
siam

Just registered to say I'm another "me too" case.

I ordered a 4286-CTO model number with an IPS (premium) display on August 1st, received August 12th, and have finally finished setting it up (Arch) this weeks.

The image persistence definitely happens sooner (and more intensely) when the LCD brightness is at its maximum.

Unfortunately, I usually work at that level so it has begun to bother me at this point.

This laptop (size, speed, look, etc.) is amazing in all other aspects, but this ghosting issue is a bummer.

I knew about the issue before purchasing it, but I thought its effects were being exaggerated.

justincwatt, can you let us know what Lenovo told you?

I went through this topic and I know their position at the moment, but it'd be interesting to hear what exactly they are telling people when they call.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

dbrane wrote:
Another "me too" here. Just got my new X220 (4286-CTO, display model LP125WH2-SLB1), noticed the ghosting, found this thread. For me it's pretty much impossible to see the ghost images on black background, but on something grey-ish they are clearly visible. For those who really want to see whether they have a problem or not, try setting your background images to http://www.wooyd.org/images/x220.jpg - for me it shows the problem very clearly, and ghost images persist for at least a few minutes.

Thanks. With your gray image and with backlight turned up to maximum, I can easily see and photograph (with Google Nexus One Android phone) ghosting on my X220 from about 10 minutes of LTT Memory Test window:

Immediately after switching to your gray image (in Windows Photo Viewer)

After about 4 more minutes

While I find this disappointing, I personally nonetheless prefer the X220 IPS screen to TN screens.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
rreis

[ Edited ]

My machine has it. I was dismissing the problem and today it stared at me in the face, basicly (I was wondering "what's that faint thing on the screen...?" when it downed on me)

I have a 4286CTO - SN * 11/06

Moderator edit by bananaman: Masked serial number to prevent misuse.

Punch Card
Amscram

[ Edited ]

I'm really sorry to hear that more people are experiencing screen image persistence troubles with these Lenovo laptops. It seems that even some of the people who were previously convinced that their screens were "fine" are now reporting similar faulty screens too. I was hoping that the flaw in Lenovo's IPS screens was limited to a smaller set of customers. 

I'm not sure whether your screens are the same as the four x220t's laptops I have regular access to, but if your laptops are plagued with the same problems mine are, then you may be disappointed to hear that the problem for me has gotten WORSE over time. I was told by Lenovo that the trouble would not get worse and that there would be no damage caused to the displays. In my situation, they lied.

The image persistence lasts a little longer before clearing up now. Also, my screens have now started to show unevenly shaped white spots/blotches (not like dead or stuck pixels). The white spots are more visible on lighter colored backgrounds, and just add to the difficulty for me to work with precision editing on my x220t's. I agree that the IPS really is a beautiful screen, if only it would work correctly. As it stands right now, I feel like an unfortunate victim to a careless Lenovo cover up.

Paper Tape
justincwatt

I called Lenovo Tech Support (800-426-7378) this morning about the issue (I wanted to wait until after the holiday weekend). My call was handled by a support center in Atlanta, GA. I was on hold for about 8 minutes, until I was able to talk to someone. I described the problem (image permanence/ghosting on a new X220 with IPS screen) and referenced this forum, but otherwise he didn't need any other convincing or try to walk me me through some support try this/try that process.

As I have the barebones warranty, he processed repair through the depot. I should get a box in 1 business day and repair should be complete in 6 business days (he said). I've read/skimmed through the entire forum, so I am a little concerned about them "not seeing any problem" or "replacing my screen with another faulty screen" but I have to give it a try. The entire call took 15 minutes---not too shabby.

As an aside, he also mentioned that I should hold onto my hard drive, battery, and AC adapter. Probably makes for lighter/cheaper shipping, but it's also nice for me because it means I don't have to go through the process of reinstalling Ubuntu again :smileywink: I'll update when I have something to share.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

justincwatt wrote:

I called Lenovo Tech Support (800-426-7378) this morning about the issue (I wanted to wait until after the holiday weekend). My call was handled by a support center in Atlanta, GA. I was on hold for about 8 minutes, until I was able to talk to someone. I described the problem (image permanence/ghosting on a new X220 with IPS screen) and referenced this forum, but otherwise he didn't need any other convincing or try to walk me me through some support try this/try that process.

As I have the barebones warranty, he processed repair through the depot. I should get a box in 1 business day and repair should be complete in 6 business days (he said). I've read/skimmed through the entire forum, so I am a little concerned about them "not seeing any problem" or "replacing my screen with another faulty screen" but I have to give it a try. The entire call took 15 minutes---not too shabby.

As an aside, he also mentioned that I should hold onto my hard drive, battery, and AC adapter. Probably makes for lighter/cheaper shipping, but it's also nice for me because it means I don't have to go through the process of reinstalling Ubuntu again :smileywink: I'll update when I have something to share.

There's certainly nothing wrong with giving warranty service a try, but I doubt you'll get much improvement unless your screen happens to be unusually bad. I'm planning to wait until later in the warranty to see if Lenovo finds a way to improve the IPS screen.

Have you tried the process I describe in my posting here to see how your screen compares to mine? Saving screen photo(s) will also give you a good objective way to tell if a replacement screen is any better than your current screen.

Pulling the hard drive isn't a bad idea (especially as compared to an mSATA drive), but it should be backed up regardless (!), and you can password protect it to keep Lenovo from (ab)using it.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
What's DOS?
OmEgA

Hi, I just wanted to say that I received my new X220 today. I also have the issue (what a surprise) and I'll return my device asap. After reading the 30+ pages on this topic I don't have any faith in Lenovo fixing the display.

WWAN
Puppy

siam wrote:

The image persistence definitely happens sooner (and more intensely) when the LCD brightness is at its maximum.

This is an interesting observation. I usually use the lowest possible brightness setting (below 40 cd/m2) because my eyes hurts by over-brighted (crappy office) displays. If the image persistence is not that visible at the lowest brightness, I'd try a unit to buy.

I don't expect any notebook display to be perfect as a professional Eizo/NEC desktop monitor but the image persistence screenshots shown here are way too much buggy.