Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
jeff3yan

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

I'm actually not fully sure if my panel is the new IPS panel either (X220 was manufactured early to mid August.

I haven't noticed any image persistence however I definitely notice a change of contrast (and the Dynamic contrast control is off in the Intel Graphics settings).

For example when I am watching a movie in full screen, then I switch to the desktop; the desktop will look washed out for about 10 seconds or so then slowly return to normal. Not a huge issue compared to image persistence, but still enough to be a little annoying in everyday usage.
Punch Card
Crmb

[ Edited ]

@JNavas

I can not see your attached picture

@jeff3yan

In "battery mode" there is another checkbox under dynamic contrast. Have you seen it ?

Punch Card
Amscram

@Mark

That is great news. Thank you, and send a "thanks" to whoever finally decided to man-up to this problem at Lenovo.

I honestly like everything about my x220t's except for their bad image persistence. I'm glad to know that I will be able to get properly working screens.

802.11n
JNavas

Crmb wrote:

@JNavas

I can not see your attached picture

That's thanks to the crappy forum software -- you have to be signed in to see hosted images (or you just get a singularly unhelpful error triangle image), and even then you may have to force a full refresh of the page to see it (because page age isn't maintained properly). I've now switched the image to external hosting to avoid the sign in problem, but you may still have to force a full refresh of the page (Ctrl+F5) to see it.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
Crmb

[ Edited ]

Ok i see it now.

I was talking about this checkbox : "Technologie de réduction du courant consomé par l'écran" :smileywink:

That's what make my screen brightness/contrast (not only backlight) vary in real time when i was on battery. (It was enabled by default) and sometime it make the screen look dull

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Crmb wrote:

Ok i see it now.

I was talking about this checkbox : "Technologie de réduction du courant consomé par l'écran" :smileywink:

That's what make my screen brightness/contrast (not only backlight) vary in real time when i was on battery. (It was enabled by default)

In English that's Automatic display brightness (not contrast), not enabled by default (on my system at least).

What display driver are you using? I'm using Lenovo-supplied 8.15.10.2342 (3/25/2011).

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
DesktopMan

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Since our last update, Lenovo has continued to work with our LCD supplier to address the concerns expressed by those in this thread and and version of the panel with revised spec / characteristics has been introduced.  Customers who are experiencing these persistence / ghosting symptoms will be able to contact service for replacement of the LCD once updated parts are in stock - this looks like mid to late September at this time.   These revised panels were introduced  in the production of new X220 systems during the first half of August.

Thanks for manning up and allow replacements. Took a bit longer than it should have but I will be happy when I get mine.
802.11n
RichardW

JNavas wrote:

Crmb wrote:

Ok i see it now.

That's what make my screen brightness/contrast (not only backlight) vary in real time when i was on battery. (It was enabled by default)

In English that's Automatic display brightness (not contrast), not enabled by default (on my system at least).

No, Automatic display brightness is the other checkbox, "Gestion automatique de la luminosité".

Google Translate is your friend:

"Gestion automatique de la luminosité" = Automatic control of brightness

"Technologie de réduction du courant consomé par l'écran" = Technology to reduce the power consumed by the screen

I don't have a second checkbox. I'm guessing that "Technologie de réduction du courant consomé par l'écran" dynamically adjusts contrast and output curves to keep things visible as you turn down the brightness, e.g. like audio systems that adjust frequency response when playing at low volume.

JaneL

Paper Tape
yarosl

[ Edited ]

I wonder if the new X220 are really being  supplied with the new (ghosting-free) IPS screens or not? The  suspicious thing is that the new-built laptops (ordered online at shop.lenovo.com 5 days ago ) have the IPS panels with exactly the same part numbers as the laptops built 4 monthes ago: Mfg part # 93P5674, FRU part # 93P5675.