Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
community supermod
erik

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

LOL... well, i didn't mean it that way but that's fine, too. :smileytongue:

glad the replacement is better for you.   my latest two have both been excellent.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
justincwatt

Just wanted to update my original posting. I was in the process of moving while my laptop was in the depot, so it took me a few weeks to get settled so I could get my hands on it. Anyway, I finally got to it today, slipped my HD and battery back in, and can say with confidence that there's no perceptible ghosting/image permanence, and the screen is beautiful.

Thank you Lenovo!

Token Ring
connmen

I can also attest to the fact that the replacement screens are an improvement.  Just got my ghosting screen replaced yesterday at a Lenovo Authorized Repairer and very pleased with the results. 

As an aside, I should point out that I've had two Thinkpads and both have required repairs.  So I can't say these computers are flawless.  But the authorized repairer network is really excellent.  I have always found Lenovo authorized repairers to go above and beyond when it comes to fixing problems.

Paper Tape
Garcin

[ Edited ]

After sending my X220 and supposedly having the screen replaced, the issue is definitely not completely resolved, but may have improved, that's only speculation, however, since I don't have the previous screen to compare it to. To some extent, though the image retention seems much less noticeable.

The only certain change in my laptop is the small chip out of the black layer on the corner of it, which is likely related to the fact that the layer of side cushioning was broken apart when I recieved the laptop and my battery was loose in the box.

802.11n
RichardW

To those who have had their screens replaced:

Is the new screen an improvement in any other way besides the ghosting? I have ghosting on my screen but it doesn't interfere with my work. I'm debating whether it would be worth losing use of my laptop for a while if I ship it out. If the screen is better in other ways, then no question I'll do it, but for the ghosting alone it is not a clear decision for me.

Token Ring
connmen

My replacement screen is a vast improvement on the ghosting, but it does still have the issue.  The only time I've seen it though is when I look for it ... for example, if I hide the Windows 7 taskbar which I always keep visible, it will show itself then.  Very minor, and good.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say the screen is any different from before.  Still have a bit of light leak but not a major concern.  My screen that was ghosting did have two dead pixels and this new one has no dead pixels, so that's a bit of a bonus in my particular instance!  :-)

Paper Tape
o0a0o

Update:

My screen was replaced last week. Since then I haven't been able to make any ghosting visible (yet). I also noticed more improvements: 

1 When setting the brightness to  0, the screen now darkens and dims the backlight (or is this a driver enhancement?)

2 In the 50 Hz setting the flicker is less noticable.

802.11n
JNavas

Defective replacement IPS screen

[ Edited ]

I needed to have my X220 serviced, and thinking the dust must have settled on IPS screen replacements,

decided to have my IPS screen replaced at the same time by my local authorized Lenovo service location,

given that it does exhibit some ghosting.

Unfortunately, the replacement screen is actually worse than my original screen:

1. The surface of the screen is glossy, not matte.
  2. There appears to be a letter "C" (rotated upside down) permanently marked in the screen (photo below).
  3. Although I cannot tell for sure, the screen appears to be a bit dimmer than the original screen.
  4. The service tech said the screen wasn't packed like a new part, and is probably used or at best refurbished.

Tomorrow the service location will be contacting Lenovo about the replacement screen problem.

LENOVO: What can I do to ensure that I get a proper, non-defective "premium" IPS screen?

Thank you.

UPDATE: This seems to be the same problem as described here:

WishIHadMyX220 wrote:

Ugh!

Just got my X220 back from the factory after a month and guess what?

They left the shiny screen protector on (behind the plastic) with the dot matrix lettering on the lower-left...

Is this a screwup by Lenovo on the part, or by the local tech?
Can the local tech remove the screen protector to resolve the issue?
Thanks!

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

Re: Defective replacement IPS screen

John,

Thanks for the pic and for bringing this to our attention and the mention of another possible occurance of this back on 9/28.  We'll look into it.

If you can pass along your service case number via PM, that might be helpful

Many thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
802.11n
JNavas

Re: Defective replacement IPS screen

[ Edited ]
Mark_Lenovo wrote:

John,
Thanks for the pic and for bringing this to our attention and the mention of another possible occurance of this back on 9/28.  We'll look into it.
If you can pass along your service case number via PM, that might be helpful
Many thanks!
Mark

I took the machine back to the service location a few hours ago, and they opened it to examine the panel.
If there is a protective film issue then it must be inside the panel -- there's no sign of a film on the surface.
Thus this appears to be a manufacturing defect by LG.
I don't have a case number because the warranty repair is being handled by the service location.
If you like, I can ask them for it. (i've already sent you the service details I have by PM.)
They ordered another replacement screen this morning, and we're keeping our fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Apparently there IS a film that should be removed - see next post.
Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]