Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
mongoose49

Re: Defective replacement IPS screen

[ Edited ]

Got my laptop back today for the second time for the reasons I posted two pages back.  They did not replace my screen.  They actually called me after they received the laptop asking what was wrong as if they hadn't read my description on the form.  They said they would take a look and that was the last I heard until getting their standard email saying they shipped it back.  By the way, their email has no information as far as what, if anything, they did except for the standard tests that have nothing to do with my problems.  I expect some assessment, conclusion... something.  The shipping box was all beat up and had a large tear in it, but that must be UPS's fault - doesn't seemed to have caused any damage.

Back to the point, here's a photo I just took of the display:

http://i.imgur.com/DoT0D.jpg

This is with  full screen black image and full brightness.  It's hard to capture the horizontal lines, but you can see two of them here if you're on a good monitor, and the very bad backlight bleed.  The gap in the lower bezel is unchanged.  You can also see the bright pixel in the middle, but I know 1 bad pixel doesn't qualify for replacement.  I don't expect some flawless graphics-professional level display, but this is pretty far from decent quality.  I guess I will call them back again later.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

Mongoose,

Thanks for the pic - that's pretty helpful .

How noticable is this during your normal use of the system?  

If you are willing to send it in again, I'd like one of our engineers to have a look at this panel rather than taking it through service again.  Could you contact me by PM?

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
jaykruer

I've had several replaced panels and parts do to attrocious build quality on my X220. I have the same issue as the other poster with the backlighting issue, it seems to get worse every time. I'm a programmer, I use a dark text editor for several hours a day. Uneven backlighting and giant yellow leaks isn't my idea of a "premium" IPS display. I was actually considering to purchase several hundred W520s for my design staff if this repair and service had gone well. Needless to say, yet another customer that Lenovo has lossed.

802.11n
JNavas

jaykruer wrote:

I've had several replaced panels and parts do to attrocious build quality on my X220. I have the same issue as the other poster with the backlighting issue, it seems to get worse every time. I'm a programmer, I use a dark text editor for several hours a day. Uneven backlighting and giant yellow leaks isn't my idea of a "premium" IPS display. I was actually considering to purchase several hundred W520s for my design staff if this repair and service had gone well. Needless to say, yet another customer that Lenovo has lossed.

The W520 panel is different from the X220 panel (not to mention the totally different design of a totally different series). Your X220 experience isn't applicable. And you shouldn't judge any product line from a single sample (good or bad). You may have gotten a lemon. My own X220 has good build quality, albeit not as good as T-series, but that's due to weight constraints, and the replaced IPS panel is good with little backlight bleeding that's not noticeable in normal use*, albeit not as good as prior T-series IPS panels, but that's due to a lower price point. The X220 may simply not be a good fit for you -- you might be happier with (say) the T420s.

* While I have Eclipse configured with a light theme for software development (which I find much easier on the eyes than a dark theme), I do considerable work in Photoshop with a dark theme, with no noticeable backlight bleeding.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
dbman190

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

[ Edited ]

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but the depot hasn't gotten the message that this is a known issue with the X220 IPS screen. I sent mine in, and they first determined the problem was the system board (there is nothing wrong with my system board). When I called to ask why they wanted to replace the system board, they agreed to test the screen. They found no problem. The laptop is being returned to me unrepaired.

I bought the X220 about a week or two after it was released, and it does exhibit the image retention problem. How do I go about actually getting the screen replaced?

THS
Punch Card
THS

Hello. I have shipped back my X220 for screen replacement.

At first it was only the light bleed along the bottom. I figured I would live with it but now there is a bright white dot on the right side of the screen. 

Will update when I get it back. 

I hope they replace it. 

"PREMIUM HD" should NOT = Light bleeds. It's horrible because I like to be at the command line with a black background and the light bleeding is too obvious. Also terrible when watching a movie or tv show. 

Fanfold Paper
andrasz14

I have about 6-8 dead (black) pixels scattered all over the screen, 2 bright spots (as describe in several other threads here) and now also ghosting (windows visible for up to 10 seconds).

I mean - seriously? How am I supposed to work with this thing? 

Any chance for Lenovo support to replace my IPS panel?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

if you have more than 3 dead pixels, then you are eligible for a LCD swap under warranty.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

THS,

I would agree light bleed is a detractor - often it is not a fault of the panel, but rather the bezel putting some pressure on the LCD.   Hopefully when you get it back from service, all will be well!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
dbman190

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

I'm self-bumping my post since I still have not heard how to actually get my defective screen with image retention replaced.