Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
dfumento
Accepted Solution

Fixing Trackpoint Scroll for ITunes, Picasa, Safari, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Writer

[ Edited ]
The trackpoint middle scrolling button doesn't work for some of the newer applications such as ITunes, the newest versions of Picasa, Windows Live Mail, Safari, and Windows Live Writer.

Below is a fix applicable to all Windows OS's. The location of the edited file may vary so look in the Device Manager under trackpoint driver details to find driver locations.

The file must be edited as an administrator in Vista and Windows 7. To do this, at the programs box type in notepad and on the notpad program in the menu right click and select, "Run as Administrator."

In Win7 x64 it is located at: (edit with Notepad run as Administrator).

c:\Program Files\Lenovo\Trackpoint\tp4table.dat

; Google Picasa
*,*,picasa3.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

; Windows Live Mail
*,*,wlmail.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

; Windows Live Writer
*,*,WindowsLiveWriter.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

; Apple ITunes
*,*,itunes.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

; Apple Safari
*,*,safari.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

Especially for "X" series owners that do not have the touchpad this is helpful.

Thanks for the tip by Matthew Kohut of Lenovo for mentioning that this technique had previously been done for other programs such as OpenOffice.

Message Edited by dfumento on 05-13-2009 12:12 PM
Message Edited by dfumento on 05-13-2009 12:13 PM
Message Edited by dfumento on 05-13-2009 12:14 PM
X201s 1440x900 LED backlight 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD, Intel 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows Ultimate 7 x64 SP1 RC, 3G/4G WiFi Hotspot, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
Serial Port
dfumento

Re: Fixing Trackpoint Scroll for ITunes, Picasa, Safari, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Writer

Added the New York Times reader which now has its second version based on Adobe Air.

; New York Times Reader
*,*,Times Reader.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

Check out this review of the program:

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/apps-for-windows-a-review-of-the-new-york-times-reader-20/

X201s 1440x900 LED backlight 2.13 GHz, 8 GB, Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD, Intel 6200 a/b/g/n, BT, 6-cell, 9-cell, Windows Ultimate 7 x64 SP1 RC, 3G/4G WiFi Hotspot, Lenovo USB to DVI converter
What's DOS?
hurragutt

Re: Fixing Trackpoint Scroll for ITunes, Picasa, Safari, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Writer

Excellent solution.

I found the file at this location: C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP

Regards,

Paul

Punch Card
tech_man

Just great!

It's not only fixing the problem for Trackpoint Scroll but also the Touchpad Scroll.

Best regards

Anders

ThinkPad SL300 2738-53G S/N:L3B2780: Stolen
ThinkPad SL300 2738-53G S/N:smileyfrustrated:L3ACR2M Replaced Unit
ThinkPad SL300 2738-K5G
What's DOS?
johnlyt

Thank you Paul!  This worked great for Live Mail!

John

What's DOS?
nicemisti

[ Edited ]

I did that for an X61s laptop and worked perfectly. I recently bought a trackpoint USB keyboard and the fix doesn't work with it (but still does for the trackpoint in the laptop). Any ideas anybody? I didn't find any other tp4table.dat that was installed with the new usb keyboard.

thx!

n.

Blue Screen Again
robinlangford

Hi,

I'm so happy to have finally found this fix after literally years of struggling with the problem!  It works with the oXygen XML editor, too!

Instructions:

• In Notepad, open C:/program files/synaptics/synTP/tp4table.dat

• Add this line at the bottom of the list of similar entries:  
    ; oXygen
    *,*,oxygen.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

• Reboot.

I'm VERY grateful for your help!

- Robin

Blue Screen Again
kevinf

so anyone know why it happens? is it just lack of support with the drivers?

What's DOS?
scvsop

Yea I never had this problem until updating to Thunderbird 6 and I lost scrolling capability. This fixed it!
Blue Screen Again
murak

[ Edited ]

I have this problem too and have added the following to c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\TP4table.dat right below the similar text:

; Steam Client Bootstrapper
*,*,Steam.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

; Rhinoceros 5.0 (64-bit)
*,*,Rhino.exe,*,*,*,WheelStd,0,9

This did nothing for me though (I have saved and rebooted) How do I know what to put in there? The two programs I am trying to scroll in are Steam and Rhinoseros 3D.

Btw, should not this be fixed by Lenovo?? Are there Thinkpads that don't have this problem and what makes them different?

Lenovo Thinkpad X230 - 3.3Ghz i5 - 16Gb ram - 240Gb Sandisk Extreme II ssd - crunchbang linux and win7