Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
rguda

Frequent Connection Drop Outs on X61 using 4965AGN

I had the x61 for almost 6 months now. I am experiencing frequent connection drop outs with the Wireless-N routers. I have Wireless-N routers at home, at work and at my friend's house who I frequently visit to work. I tried downgrading the wireless mode to G and still have the same problem, actually worse. So, I switched back to N mode. I am using all "deafult" options for the wireless configuration. I am also using Windows default wifi management software. I upgraded to the latest 11.5.0.36 driver. The drop outs happen less frequently when I sit in the same room as the router is located. When I sit farther, the drop outs become worse. This is consistent at home, work and my friend(colleague's) house.

Any suggestions or ideas??

Punch Card
robertsbowers

Re: Frequent Connection Drop Outs on X61 using 4965AGN

Make sure the drivers for the 4965AGN are up to date, and make sure you follow instructions for installing them once downloaded as they do not install themselves. Also, unless you are in a business environment where you have support, disable Access Connections and just use Windows wireless.
802.11n
icantux

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums!

One main reason for the frequent drop-outs is due to the "power management" of the wifi card. By default, the power management of the card is set to save power, thus the card consistently powers down on a regular basis to conserve battery power (even if the computer is plugged in!!). Thus when the card powers down the strenght of the signal becomes weak and dropouts inevitably occur.

What I'd suggest you do is open Device Manager and set the "power management" settings to full power (thus lower the power savings feature for the card) in the property options for the wifi card. You'll note an immediate difference in sustainable connection with no (or very few) dropouts.

Keep in mind that dropouts will/may continue to occur, regardless of the settings, depending on the environment you find yourself in (many wifi signals in the area), and due to the quality of the router you're connecting to as well. 

Hope this helps!

Steve

Message Edited by icantux on 07-02-2008 10:28 AM
Punch Card
robertsbowers

First problem I fixed on my 2 X61's was power management of the wireless card. Did NOT fix the problem. Drops continued until I figured out how to disable Access, but still had some. Updated all drivers and problem appears gone .... but it's only the second day.
Paper Tape
rguda

I have disabled "Access Connections" long ago as my office needs windows credentials for authentication. I have been using Windows Wireless all along. I changed the power management setting. Still no luck. Like I mentioned before, the conenction works ok when I sit literally next to the router in all 3 different locations & routers.
Punch Card
robertsbowers

[ Edited ]

worked on my second X61 after first working properly. sequence of events with second X61:

frequently dropping connection, or getting connected with no IP address. did not reconnect without manual intervention.

made sure wireless power management was off.

installed required driver updates, after which Access could not establish a connection at all.

disabled Access by deleting the location profile for the network.

windows now completing wireless connection on first attempt and staying connected with no drops.

Message Edited by robertsbowers on 07-02-2008 04:13 PM
802.11n
icantux

Hi fellas,

Although Access Connections is a good piece of software, it's not really suitable for all individuals who mainly use it to manage their wifi connections (single or multiple). It is best used as a one-stop solution for individuals requiring quick access management in environments of multiple connection types.

For the casual/power wifi user - one that makes primary use of wifi - I would suggest to uninstall the Access Connections and use Intel's Wifi Manager utility instead. Once installed, it will override Microsoft's wifi manager (which is quite buggy to begin with) and provide you with complete multi access point management for your wifi card.  Better yet, the Intel Wifi Manager will integrate with the Intel 4965AGN much better and offer many more solutions regarding power management control of the card, etc.

The Intel Wifi Manager is available as a free download and will work with all Intel wifi cards and on all Windows platforms (XP, Vista, 2000).

Hope this helps!

Steve

Serial Port
Gkinghrn

Same problems as the others...anyone d/l this Intel stuff..I agree Windows Vista wireless management is poor..Access seems much the same.so I am tempted by this..who else has done it?
Lenovo X200 Tablet / 350Gb HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 7