Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
JNavas

HOW TO connect X220 DisplayPort to HDMI TV (audio & video)

[ Edited ]

I found a slick all-in-one solution for connecting my X220 to the HDMI input on a VIZIO VO370M flat panel HDTV: Central Computers Displayport (Male) to HDMI (Male) Cable w/ IC,6' $19.95 (Item# CAB-DPHDMINE)

• The cable contains an IC to do the necessary interface between DisplayPort and HDMI.
  • The DisplayPort connector latches securely to the X220.
  • No other hardware needed.

When connected, my X220 instantly recognizes native resolutions of the HDTV, and uses X220 resolution with both displays active. When I use Fn+F7 to switch to external display (HDTV) only, resolution automatically switches to higher HDTV resolution. TV display in either resolution is stunning, clear and crisp, with audio automatically routed to the HDTV speakers.

Dead simple plug-and-play, inexpensive, wonderful! :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
What's DOS?
GPelton

Re: HOW TO connect X220 DisplayPort to HDMI TV (audio & video)

John ,

Thanks for the info.  I just ordereed the same exact X220 you purchased but I ordered a different adapter - I ordered a DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (http://www.siig.com/displayport-to-hdmi-adapter.html).  Is this the wrong connection or willl this work just like yours?

Also, is there a way to just transmit the video to the TV, and let the audio remain on the laptop?  Can this be adjusted? 

Thanks!

Garett

802.11n
JNavas

GPelton wrote:

John ,

Thanks for the info.  I just ordereed the same exact X220 you purchased but I ordered a different adapter - I ordered a DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (http://www.siig.com/displayport-to-hdmi-adapter.html).  Is this the wrong connection or willl this work just like yours?

Also, is there a way to just transmit the video to the TV, and let the audio remain on the laptop?  Can this be adjusted? 

Thanks!

Garett

Hi Garett,

It should work fine, although you'll need a separate HDMI cable, which will make it a lot more expensive than the one I have. And I believe you can switch your audio output, but can't say for sure.

Hope that helps,

John

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
profepaco
802.11n
JNavas

profepaco wrote:

Other options:

[1] http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-displayport-dp-male-to-hdmi-male-adapter-cable-1-8m-35196

[2] http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gold-plated-displayport-male-to-hdmi-male-adapter-cable-1-8m-37066

Item 1 is MINI DisplayPort, which will NOT work with the X220.

Item 2 does NOT mention audio.

Hope that helps,
John
Punch Card
profepaco

I have just received the second cable from dealextrme. It transmit audio as well.

I am very happy with the result.

Paper Tape
Elie

Hi John, how did you get the usb 3.0 as opposed to the USB 2.0 Lenovo has in its specs ?  

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Elie wrote:

Hi John, how did you get the usb 3.0 as opposed to the USB 2.0 Lenovo has in its specs ?  

I got the Core i7, which comes with one USB 3.0 port. Other procesor options do not include USB 3.0.

With those models you would have to use an ExpressCard adapter; e.g.,
StarTech 2 Port Flush Mount ExpressCard 54mm SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card Adapter ($36 @ Newegg)

Hope that helps,
John
Kah
Paper Tape
Kah

I bought a Display Port to HDMI adapter (http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/110741176413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_986wt_...).

If I boot from my HDD, it is working fine.  Can Duplicate, Can Extend.  But if I boot from my mSata SSD, it cannot Extend!  If I choose Extend, I will get BSOD and it automatically reboot.

Do you guys have problem with your cable when using mSata SSD?  Should I get a cable instead.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

Kah wrote:

I bought a Display Port to HDMI adapter (http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/110741176413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_986wt_...).

If I boot from my HDD, it is working fine.  Can Duplicate, Can Extend.  But if I boot from my mSata SSD, it cannot Extend!  If I choose Extend, I will get BSOD and it automatically reboot.

Do you guys have problem with your cable when using mSata SSD?  Should I get a cable instead.

My OS and programs are on mSATA, and I don't experience BSOD problems with DisplayPort output, although I don't use Extend -- I just use DisplayPort to drive HDTV. But it shouldn't make any difference what you boot from, so my guess is that something is different between your mSATA and your HDD, possibly different video drivers, possibly some sort of corruption. My suggestion is to install the latest video drivers over again to see if that helps.

CAVEAT: My HDTV is only able to sync properly with my X220 if I cable them together with the TV off and then turn the TV on. If I try to switch from DVR HDMI input to computer HDMI input with the HDTV on, the HDTV goes and stays black. (I can switch from computer HDMI to DVR HDMI without problems.) I'm guessing this is due to some sort of issue in the video drivers from Intel, which is (in)famous for video driver issues.

Hope that helps,
John