Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
MarkPat

Help Please - X200 will not boot after Bios Upgrade - keeps asking for power on password

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and please let me say a big Thank You for your help in advance.

I am using a lenovo thinkpad x200 running windows vista with service pack 1. 

The laptop has always been running fine and has never given me any issues. Unfortunately, all this came to an end yesterday when I ran the system assistant which did a round of updates and it prompted me to reflash my bios. 

I did what was instructed and closed all open applications and after the laptop restarted, there was a noise from the harddisk (the sound was basically like what happens if the harddisk suddenly loses power). Then, all i got was a black screen, no harddisk acitvity with only the power cable LED and another LED (with the shape of a N tiled at 20 degrees) on. 

I searched the forum and did what was suggested in this entry: http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Blank-screen-after-Bios-Upgrade-on-X200/ta-p/29... 

This is what I did so far"

• I turned off the power, took out the backup battery and waited for about 30 minutes (repeated this step several times, also removing the harddisk) but to no avail.
  • I removed the RAM and tried booting and there was that characteristic beeping sound. 
  • I replaced the RAM, redid the CMOS clearing, and now there is the Lenovo startup screen. However, there would be an error code 0271 (no date time) and 0251 (something about default configuration). Then, these disappear and all I am left with is the Bios Power On password prompt. Somehow no matter what I type nothing can be input into the field (and I did not create any password as far as I can remember).
  • I redid the clearing for the power on password by removing the backup battery as suggested at the bottom of this page http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-59377   but it is no use. Each time I restart, even if I press the blue Think Vantage button or F1 or F11, I still get the same 0271 and 0251 error messages and am left with the power on password prompt. 

I am really desperate as I really like my lenovo x200 and there is important data on the laptop. I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can solve this. Its amazing how a simple update can turn into such a disaster. Now i know i should never upgrade or update my Bios (or at least proceed with extreme caution).

Anyone can provide some help to get my laptop workin again?

Thank you very much,

Mark :smileyhappy:

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,323

Re: Help Please - X200 will not boot after Bios Upgrade - keeps asking for power on password

Try using a usb keyboard to enter the code.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
MarkPat

Re: Help Please - X200 will not boot after Bios Upgrade - keeps asking for power on password

[ Edited ]

I tried puting in a wireless usb keyboard, the input field is unresponsive. Also, I am not sure if I remember the password correctly. 

lead_org

if the computer register a keystroke for a code, there should be a * sign to indicate a letter/number has been entered.
Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
MarkPat

Hi,

There is no * so it seems that my keystrokes are not being registered. Using a USB wireless keyboard also does not register any keystrokes.

lead_org

in which case then the bios flash probably did not work out like one would have expected.
Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
MarkPat

hmm, I see, so might you have any suggestions what i now do about it? Sorry because tweaking with Bios is something pretty new to me.

lead_org

try reflashing your bios?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-70348
Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
MarkPat

Hi Lead_org,

Sorry for the late reply, I was overseas for two weeks. My x200 does not have an inbuilt CD rom drive, and I can borrow a usb CD rom drive, but I am not able to access the bios to change the boot priority. I will borrow a USB cd rom drive and let you know.

Thanks alot!

Mark