Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
THS
Punch Card
THS

How to disable fingerprint reader when laptop is turned off

Hello.

How can I disable the the fingerprint reader when the laptop is off ??

I don't want it running all the time eating up my battery.

I would rather turn it on with the power button and swipe at windows login screen.

Thanks.

community supermod
erik

Re: How to disable fingerprint reader when laptop is turned off

welcome to the forum!

open the fingerprint software, click the settings icon, and uncheck 'use fingerprint scan instead of power-on button'.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

THS
Punch Card
THS

Thanks. I already checked it. I do not have that option.

I am using UEFI only mode. I followed a fix which was posted by lenovo I believe.
community supermod
erik

if the option is missing then you might need to set this using a non-UEFI installation.   i know that a clean UEFI installation doesn't offer the option to enable it.   if it's already enabled from a previous installation then it's essentially 'stuck' unless you use a non-UEFI installation to disable it.

unfortunately UEFI is a bit of a PITA right now.   kinks are being worked out though.   i suspect things will be much better in the coming months.

in the interim, i'm using a legacy BIOS installation and get the same results in boot/shutdown times as i did with UEFI.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
ccl13

It uses nearly no power. I have tested that during a 12 hours sleep (including waking up), the laptop used only 1% battery power of a 9-cell battery.
---------------------------------------------------------
[2011]X220-4286-CTO(Brand new, hope nothing bad will happen to it...)[2008]X61-7673-CV2(Slipped upon it, but also working)[2002]X31-2672-BCH(Broke screen, but still working!)
802.11n
RichardW

The power meter on mine says 5% - 6% consumed for 12 hours with a 6 cell battery (in hibernation, which is uses less power than sleep). If that's accurate, it means it could completely drain the battery if I leave it off for 2-3 weeks.

If I briefly pull and reinsert the battery, the fingerprint reader turns off and no power is consumed. I do it when I don't plan to use the X220 for more than a day.