Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
markling

IBM X40 Thinkpad power failure

Hello. Having a spot of bother with my X40. Can anyone help?

Symptoms:

On power on, gets as far as bios splash screen. And then it switches straight off again.

It won't stay on long enough for me to get into the bios.

Even then it only gets this far off the battery. The laptop doesn't switch on at all if the battery is removed so the only power comes through the mains adaptor.

When this first happened, I tried switching it on a few times with both the battery and the mains plugged in. There was a fairly loud and fast ticking coming from inside the case near the AC adaptor socket. Pulling the AC plug out made the noise stop. Putting it back in makes it start again.

The machine was switched  on when the problem occured and plugged into a docking station. It was left for five minutes. The failure was not witnessed. It was running off a new replacement AC adaptor: P/N 02K6813.

I'm quite keen to retrieve my data but clearly cannot even get into the BIOS.

I would be grateful for any help diagnosing the problem.

Markling.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 235

Re: IBM X40 Thinkpad power failure

Hi markling,

What sort of docking station?  An ultrabase?  Is there a power jack in the base?  It sounds like there's a problem with the jack in the laptop.  Does the laptop charge the battery when it's off?  How good is the battery, any idea how much charge is left in it?

Sorry about all the questions.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
markling

Hello topmahof. Please excuse this late reply to your message.

In answer to your questions:

- The docking station is a ThinkPad X4 Ultabase (P/N 41W3505).

- The ultrabase does have its own jack.

- The battery is old and at about 40 per cent capacity (IBM P/N 92P1003)

- The battery would normally charge when the power was off. But now it does not appear to charge. (See below).

The X40 was docked when the problem occured. But the problem persists both when it is not docked and when it is not. It is therefore not a jack problem, because the Ultrabase has its own jack.

It seems then that something has shorted.

My question for this forum is what is likely to have shorted. I hope to be well informed when I take the laptop for repair. Since I will be taking it for repair you might say that I need not bother anyone with the problem here. But I am a sole trader. I have to take it to a shop. I reckon my chances of retrieving my data will be increased if I am informed of any known issues or specific diagnoses.

Symptoms are as follows:

- When power adapter jack plugged in: area around power jack hot

- When power adapter jack plugged in: quiet, very rapid, ticking coming from within the case around the power jack

- When battery is not conneted: X40 won't power up

- When battery is connected: X40 powers up for as long as it takes for the splash screen to come up, then dies

This behavioiur is the same whether or not the machine is docked, and whether or not it is plugged in. There is juice in the battery. This would suggest two things: i) that the power input shorted, because the machine is able to get a spurt of juice from the battery, but not the jack; ii) that something else beyond the jack shorted too, because the battery doesn't get further than the splash.

So does anyone recognise this problem? That is, what can I expect to repair? And what is the likely cause? Could it have been a power spike, a problem with the adapter (model given in previous post), or has the machine simply worn out?

Thanks

Markling.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 235

Hi markling,

The area around the jack gets hot:  Does it get hot around the ultrabase when it's plugged in to there as well as the laptop?

It sounds like you have a few things happening.  The power adapter might not be working too well, or, if it is, there's probably a problem with the charging circuit on the board.  Does it make the ticking noise in the laptop when the adapter is plugged into the base?  

As far as it shutting down at the splash screen, that could be related to the power problem or a hard disc failing, bad ram, (although bad ram would probably cause it to not turn on at all or just give you a black screen with a flashing cursor.)

You could try to download a live linux onto a cd or a flash drive and see if it boots.  If it does, run a hard drive diagnostic from within linux.  If it still doesn't boot, then we have a hardware problem, which I think we have anyway.

Sorry that there is not many answers here, but I think you have more than one problem. 

Maybe somebody will chime in here with something else to try.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество