Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cloudtech

Install a new SSD for x120e got an error

Hello,

I just received my x120e yesterday. I was trying to install a new OCZ SSD and dual system(Windows and Ubuntu) for this netbook. The installation was quite smooth, however, whenever I try to load the Windows from external DVD-ROM, the computer crushed after drivers being loaded to the memory and then gave a blue screen. After unplug the external DVD-ROM, the computer gave this error "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable". Does this mean the SSD drive failed? I was able to see this drive in Bios.

Now, I switched back to original HDD and the computer works fine. Any idea what's the problem with my computer? Thank you.

802.11n
clicq

Re: Install a new SSD for x120e got an error

The media test failure message looks like it came from the network boot (I'm guessing from the PXE in the error message).

As for why your computer crashed... it's either the DVD, the drive, or the computer :smileytongue:.

You could try to install windows from a USB key following the directions here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

or using the Win7 usb/download tool here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Anecdotally, the only time I've had the Windows installer blue screen during installation was when there was a hardware problem (bad memory).

Paper Tape
cloudtech

Thanks for the reply. It's weird, all the hardware and software are brand new, I don't know which one to blame. The only suspicious one is the SSD drive since it was replaced by OCZ after I found some bad blocks on last one. Maybe they gave me a bad one again? I will go to test it.
Blue Screen Again
lapoltba

Go into the bios and find the boot devices screen. Disable network boot, double check the boot order and try again.

I was rooting around on my x120e yesterday and noticed that network boot was enabled and first on the list by default.

Press f12 at boot to get into the boot device selection screen and choose your external drive.
Paper Tape
cloudtech

Thanks for the advice. I will try this.
Guru
HiVolt

Just though I'd mention, I'm using an OCZ Vertex2 240GB SSD in my x120e without a problem. I cloned the original drive before even turning on the machine for the first time, using Acronis True Image. I installed the SSD and proceeded with the setup from the factory preload of Win7.

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Paper Tape
cloudtech

I tried to replace the HDD with SSD again, the boot sequence is External DVD-ROm > SSD Drive, others are disabled. When I try to install Ubuntu from DVD or boot from LiveCD, it gives me this error:

Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1,0)

This is a brand new drive. Could be caused by the Thinkpad Rescue system setup on somewhere? I did create a Rescue DVD before replacing the drive.

Paper Tape
tnk479

How did you get 8 GB RAM into an x120e? The max is 4...

802.11n
clicq

Could you try booting Ubuntu from a USB key instead of the DVD drive? It sounds like the external drive isn't playing well with the x120e.

You might also try changing the UEFI boot option in the BIOS -- if it's set to Both, try UEFI only or Legacy.

Paper Tape
cloudtech

The DVD-ROM should be fine. I was able to burn 3 Recovery DVD disks and restore them without problem. 

I think something from the Recovery partition still in the BIOS. I will try your suggestion for the BIOS settings. Thanks.