07-12-2012 09:11 AM
02-02-2013 04:02 PM
Dont' even think about having it. I got it installed and got Mcafee as a provider. This is when the trouble start. One day my computer got locked by itself and I couldn't open it. At the startup screen it was giving me 3 options one is to enter password go to server ... and something else. At the bottom it was telling me to contact Mcafee support.
I called the support asking them why is it locking my computer since it is not stolen and I didn't lock it. I worked for a day calling serveral people and finally Mcafee came up with an answer that it is not them it is IBM's issue. I called IBM and they told me that my support expired after a year and now I have to pay $500 in advance so they can send me a box in which I can send them my laptop and they would look at it. Initially I agreed since I had not other choice. But I as searching on the web and I found a hit which says that open yoru Mcafee account click on your computer and there is an option that you can get a code. So I open my computer choose option 2 (enter a code) this option provides me a long alpha numeric key which I entered into the Macafee site and it provided me a code which I entered in my computer and it was unlocked. Somehow my computer was thinking that it is stolen. Anyway, I tried to get rid of Macafee or disable Intel Anti Theft but couldn't find anything and I let it go. A week later it was locked again and agian and again. Today I restored my comptuer to the factory image hoping that it would get rid of the Macafee and Anti-Theft to the original state when it was not enabled. And guess what after restoring I realized that it is still there.
I searched for hours on the internet and Macafee, Intel and IBM's web site and couldn't find anything. I went into BIOS and it doesn't let you do anything to Intel Anti-Theft. You can reset it to the original state which I did and it seems that I got rid fo that. And my laptop is free of Macafee and Intel Anti-Theft but when I rebooted and went into BIOS again to recheck it was still there. For some reason when you make the change and set it to the initial state it work but changed it back again.
I already spent days on that and still working to find a way to get rid of that stupid thing. My ADVICE STAY AWAY FROM IT.