Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
houman

Lenovo BIOS Update Bootable CD - ver 1.33 is empty

Hi,

We have some X220 business laptops and I have just downloaded the BIOS Update Bootable CD

from here:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8duj18uc.iso

and the 32 mb iso file seems empty.  I burned it even on a CD and can't boot from it.

Where can I report this to be corrected?  I can't find any way to contact customer support.

Many Thanks,

Houman

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Lenovo BIOS Update Bootable CD - ver 1.33 is empty

Hi houman,

I just downloaded that ISO and examined it with 7zip.  It isn't empty.  The contents are [BOOT] -> Bootable_HardDisk.img -> 0.fat (size 33538048).

This kind of ISO that has the working bits hidden in the [BOOT] portion normally looks empty when burned or examined with some tools.

How are you burning the ISO?  It must be burned as an image, not as a data file.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
houman

Hi Z.

Thank you for your reply.  I didn't try 7zip.

As a startup company we are using Ubuntu on our machines. Since installing it from a USB stick is far more practical nowadays than burning it for each update on a CD.

I have mounted to the iso, hoping to access the files, in order to copy them to a MSDOS bootable USbStick.

sudo mount -o loop [path to ISO file] [mount point]

But after mounting to it there was nothing inside. I need to look into this. 

I have burned it for now again on a new CD and it worked fine this time. Maybe it was a bad CD.

If you have any tip how to make a bootable USB Stick out of this ISO, I would really appreciate it for the future updates.

Thank you,

Houman

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Glad you got it working.

I tried a couple of quick tests - trying to make the image boot on flash.  Fist try, copy the ISO contents to the active partition of a FAT32 flash drive.  No joy.

Second try, add the ISO itself to my "swiss army flash drive" and boot the ISO (not the contents) with grub and memdisk.  That got me all the way to the BIOS update program menu - but I'm not about to flash my Acer Aspire One test machine :smileyhappy:  It was scary enough just booting this thing.

So: build a flash drive that boots grub legacy, add the latest memdisk and your ISO, add a boot stanza to menu.lst and give it a try.  Or use isolinux, or whatever floats your boat.  As an example - laid out the way my flash is organized:

title TEST BOOT BIOS CD IMAGE
    kernel /boot/isolinux/memdisk iso raw
    initrd /ISOs/8duj18uc.iso

Personally, I don't have the nerve - even if I did have your target machine.

I can come back with more detailed instructions if you need them, but since you are a Ubuntu wrangler, this should come easy.

<OT> My swiss army flash boots : my custimized Knoppix, Windows (if available on HDD), Ubuntu 10.04 live CD, Acronis 2010 and 2011, Spinrite, Memtest 86+, HD Regenerator, Windows 7 Recovery 32 and 64 bit, and your BIOS for now...  Very useful stuff.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
houman

hehe :smileylol:  No worries the Bios update CD asked me like five times if I was sure, if I had enough Battery, if its connected to AC and if its not raining etc etc.  So its very unlikely that you would actually accidentally run the flash. ;-)

Interesting you got it that far.

What I was trying was to follow this tutorial. Its not the same laptop, I have X220, but still the idea is the same.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=817897

I failed at step 2. when he was trying to mount to the iso file.

Its such a pain that the linux users are forgotten, as if the entire world is around Windows. :smileyhappy:

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

houman wrote:

Its such a pain that the linux users are forgotten, as if the entire world is around Windows. :smileyhappy:

True that, but at least there's a CD ISO available.  That's progress :smileyhappy:

I'm very curious to know what happens if/when you try my technique.  Success, or bricked laptop?

Z.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Lenovo BIOS Update Bootable CD