Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
MCoupe
Accepted Solution

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 will not charge when in use

I have a quesiton I have not found an answer to.

Will the X220 charge the battery, when plugged into the 90W charger (42T4430), if the computer is in use?  I used my computer on battery for a few hours, drained the battery to 30%.  Then I went inside to plug it in and keep working.  After 4 hours of working, and it plugged in to the wall the battery still indicates 30%.

The same thing happened when I was using my docking station.  I arrived at work yesterday with 76% battery.  After 8 hours on the docking station, I still indicated 76% battery life. 

My previous (other major name brand) laptops all would charge even if I was working on the laptop.  Is the X220 different by design?  Do I have to shut down and plug in to recharge?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 will not charge when in use

yes it will.

What did you set as the charging threshold under the Thinkvantage Power Management.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
MCoupe

Where can you change that threshold setting?  I have been stuck at 27% since yesterday.  I even shut down and plugged in over night.  Still no change to the battery.

Battery.JPG

What's DOS?
MCoupe

I figured it out.   I took the battery out and put it back in.  Ding Ding Ding  That worked, now it is charging.  How in the world did it work off the battery if it was not plugged in tight enough to charge??? Oh well, it works again.  Thanks

battery2.JPG

What's DOS?
bawilbanks

I've been having this same problem.  Removing the battery and plugging it back in also worked for me.  Thanks!