Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
NetScorpium
Accepted Solution

Lenovo X60 - Cause: BIOS updated failed, Consequence: notebook dead

[ Edited ]

I work in a company as IT manager and during an updating of a notebook Lenovo X60 Type: 1707-CTO using "System Update" application, at the middle of the process the BIOS flashing stopped/crashed before the end and now the notebook don't boot/start (black screen at start up and nothing more).

I think that is a stupid idea put an updating BIOS process using Windows application and was the first time that I use this "System Update" and for sure the last one!

Now, back to my problem... the notebook is out of guarantee, so I must find a solution to put the notebook working again.

My simple question is... what is the best way/solution? Can I reflash this BIOS again? How? Can I replace the BIOS physically? How?

In advance, thanks' for your help.

Best regards,

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 328
Solutions: 223

Re: Lenovo X60 - Cause: BIOS updated failed, Consequence: notebook dead

as far as i know, you have to either replace the bios chip or replace the motherboard.  to reflash the bios you have to have a working bios, which you don't.  and the bios chip is soldered on the board.  i saw bios chips listed on ebay but none for an x60.  i'll look around a bit to try to find one and maybe somebody will jump on here and come up with other ideas.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Paper Tape
NetScorpium

Thanks' for your reply topmahof.

Well, I have more "working" BIOS, because my company bought a pack of 10 notebook's of this model, so I have more 9 working :-).

For this one "dead", I think I have the backup of the "old" BIOS before start flashing, because I put the hard disk in a notebook of same model that is working and I can see all information.

If someone knows how to reflash again using "software", for sure I will try!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

You will need a new motherboard, as the bios is physically soldered onto the motherboard. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 681
Solutions: 610

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

nice tute... may come in handy for many people whom inadvertently bricked their laptop during a bios flashing session. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
BrianUMC

He doesn't need a new motehrboard, my X60 failed a bios update 3 weeks ago. I searched the web for a few days and found these guys:  www.aqstech.com  they did the repair of my BIOS for about $100 bucks. When I was checking around, a good supplier for this board was more than twice that price.  

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 328
Solutions: 223

there were some threads in there about password cracking that i forgot about. that's why that link was removed.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Paper Tape
NetScorpium

Well, the problem is solved... I created an Frankenstein laptop :smileyhappy:

Accidentally, an user dropped a Thinkpad X61 laptop and broke the screen, so I take off the motherboard from this laptop and assemble in the chassis of the X60 with BIOS problem. The fingerprint don't work, but the laptop is functional.

I think Lenovo's equipments are good machines, must they must improve this point of flashing BIOS. It's ridiculous put a good laptop out of service, only due an bad updating without user's fault.

Thanks guys for your replies!

Blue Screen Again
loggedin

[ Edited ]

Lenovo has not replied to me regarding similar situation where they said i should restore my pc to an earlier date, which in turn had my old system update install the BIOS update through Windows7this bricked my working W520 what a shame...  It wastes my time  for this sort of negligence that makes me have "such inconvenience" and makes them look as they produce goods of bad quality. ignoring  users who had your updates "fixing" your laptops willnot give you a good name.

Mod edit:  Removed comment that was against forum rules.