Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
samner
Accepted Solution

Missing SM Bus Service from Device Manager List

I just completed a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit on my new X201 ThinkPad. I'm completed installing all of the drivers from the driver matrix on the support page and have also run the Sytem Update to make sure everything was up to date. 

Everything is running fine, but when comparing all of the devices in the Device Manager List to those listed when I first got the computer with Win 7 32 bit I am missing something called "SM bus service". However, the "SM bios service" is listed, so I am not sure if this is okay or if I am missing a certain driver.

Another thing I have checked from another forum was to run an executable in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Lenovo\i2cinst" This runs something called "Windows ThinkVantage Technoligies SM Bus driver installer Version 5.1015". The message I get back is "No Chipset support for this PC". I've double checked that I have the most up-to-date chipset drivers install. Am I missing something or is this okay?

Thanks for the help.

-Sam

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Missing SM Bus Service from Device Manager List

SMBUS and SMBIOS are software drivers that certain Lenovo applications use (such as Rescue and Recovery, Client Security Solution, etc).  Not all software uses those drivers, and the software will only install those drivers if they are actually needed.  If SMBUS driver isn't on your system, then it means you don't have any software installed on your system that needs it.  Absolutely nothing to worry about.