Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
bclarke01

Moving SATA disk between two X-series doesn't work if HD password is set

I am upgrading from an older X60 (1708-5MU) to a newer X200 (7454-2JU) and would like to move the hard drive (not necessarily the software). For some reason, the drive has a USER password set on it so I can't clear the HD password (even though I do know it). I have no recollection of setting a USER password. When I move the drive to the X200, it asks for the HD password but won't accept it. No other BIOS passwords are currently required on either system.

Anyone have any clues what might be going on and how to get around it? I have the password for the drive and am willing to live with it on the new system, but I have to convince the new system to accept it.

Thanks!

Bruce

San Jose

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: Moving SATA disk between two X-series doesn't work if HD password is set

Bruce, welcome to the forum,

is it correct to say that when you start the X60, with the hard drive inserted, you are not required to enter the password. But, when the drive is inserted in the X200 you are required to enter the password?

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
bclarke01

No, not quite. I get prompted for the password both places. But it is accepted on the X60 and the boot continues normally. I haven't yet been able to get the X200 to accept the exact same password.

Bruce

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

I would insert the drive into the X60 and delete the password in BIOS, you should then be good to go.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
bclarke01

Well, that's the crux of the matter.

The BIOS on the X60 shows in the disk password field the word "USER" and it's greyed out. So it cannot be selected or modified.  That's exactly what I've been trying to do all along.

Response i just got from Kingston (make of the SATA SSD):

I'm sorry but you will have to contact Lenovo for assistance with the password removal. It is not something that comes with our drive. If you had a password on the original hard drive it may have carried over to this drive but because the password is not associated to this drive that is why it's probably greyed out but not sure. My understanding is that Lenovo may have a back door (workaround) to unblock it.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this e-mail with full email history. Thank you for using Kingston on-line technical support.

Regards,

Kingston Technology
Technical Support
8am - 5pm Monday through Friday PST

So the problem boils down to two parts: Why can't I select the password entry so it can be cleared on the X60, and why does the same password entered on the X200 not get accepted?  Someone is going to suggest to the first one that there is a supervisor password of some sort entered, which there isn't, nor has there ever been to the best of my knowledge. This drive was purchase by myself new and has never been out of my posession.

Any more suggestions?