Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
parkums

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

I have the same problem with my X61s. Just all of a sudden died last Friday. My part number is not included in the recall. I would be more angry - luckily my company reimburses for the battery. But this is horse.....

My laptop is 17 months old, battery FRU is 92P1227

For those who need to buy, I purchased from TheNerds.net - battery is $100 (OEM Lenovo part).

Paper Tape
p0ppea

I have the same problem with my FRU 42T4506, which is 3 months out of warranty.

Paper Tape
x61suser

46 cycles on my FRU 92P1227, and now it goes from 70% to 0%, no heads up from Power Manager that it's running low. 2 of the 46 cycles were battery gauge resets.

Frustratingly, Thinkvantage Power Manager reports that the battery is fine and in good condition. I thought the rationale for Power Manager was that Lenovo knows more about the battery than Microsoft? So far it looks like a useless application that consumes more memory.

Hardly used the x61s in comparison to my old 770ED. IIRC, when my 770ED battery died in my 3 year warranty with frequent usage, IBM replaced it for free. Given my x61s usage, I would have been better off not extending the warranty, instead purchasing another battery.

The reason I hardly use the x61s was because of the abominable performance under Vista. I installed Windows 7, which is awesome, and it feels like I bought a new laptop.

A new laptop with a 3/4 dead $180 battery.

Punch Card
palmerhg

Re: NEW Battery Tip -

Batteries don't just suddenly go kaput.  The battery cells have to be good and the communication link between the battery and the computer needs to be re-established.  Seems like there would be a program that could reset whatever went wrong in the battery or that there would be some chip that we could replace.  Does this seem like a valid deduction?

What's DOS?
nicfer

I don't know why the sticker on the battery states one p/n (92P1227) and the info from the battery information application states another (93P5030), which one is the correct? I'm going with the later one because it entitles me to a replacement battery :smileyhappy:. I don't know which info all other of you are using.

Paper Tape
x61suser

You're right nicfer, the battery utility reports it's 93P5030, which is different from what the sticker says. This FRU is covered by the recall.

The battery recall utility says everything's super and I don't qualify for the recall. Odd that the battery utility squirrels away the results of the test in the registry, and the user has to go hunt down what it stuffed in there.

This is all so sketchy. If the battery were an egg, I think I'd be in the hospital with salmonella enteritidis.

Serial Port
france

Hi, did one of you guys found out how to check the battery under Linux. Many complaints coming up but Lenovo doesn't react. I called them an they referred me to the Email address: logistpe@lenovo.com

No reply since two weeks. I'll try again.

Paper Tape
proaudioguy

[ Edited ]

Mark, My X60 Tablet has been barely used and doesn't have a mark on it.  I have taken great care of this machine.  I have a screen protector on it and the tablet sleeve.  I have puchased lots of accessories for it.  In all I own a T20, 2 A31s, 2 X32s, the X60 Tablet, and now a W700ds.  Last week I used my X60 Tablet.  Today I turned it on and the battery is displaying this error message.  This batter still has a max charge capacity of 51Wh.  There is no reason for this to happen when it was working perfectly.  Now I find this link.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67765.html#English

And it says this program has ended?!  What are you going to do for ME Mark?  I have been a loyal user in the professional audio field where all my friends and collegues in show production use "THE OTHER BRAND".  You know the one I mean.  A Tablet is useless without a working battery Mark.  My main use for this tablet is to take remote control of one of my other thinkpads and mix the concert while walking around.  I am going to work tomorrow and I am SOL Mark.  How can you help me?  Have I made a huge mistake all these years?

I want to be clear as a REGISTERED OWNER of this machine and several others I was NEVER made aware there may be a problem with my battery.  A recall due to a defect in manufacture should NEVER end.  I have taken great care of my battery by setting the charge thresholds carefully and not storing it at full capacity for long periods of inactivity AS DIRECTED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.  A battery should NOT suddenly FAIL.  I still have a T20 battery that holds a charge.  This is ridiculous!  I have half a mind to send this brand new W700ds back if this can't be resolved.  This battery is barely 2 years old.  The machine is only used a few days per month.

Harry

Error messages says A battery error has occurred, The battery cannot be charged, replace the battery. Now I have heard of planned obsolescence but this is ridiculous. What good is a tablet without a battery? The battery health was good last week. The computer sat unused for a week which happens when I'm off work. Now it is dead for no reason?

Battery stats are:
Remaining percentage: 0 %
Remaining capacity: 0.00 Wh
Full charge capacity: 51.73 Wh
Current: 0.00 A
Voltage: 12.42 V
Wattage: -
Temp: 32 C
Cycle count 199
Manu name: Sanyo
Manu date: 2007-03-28
First used date: 2007-05
SerialNumber:418
Bar-Code number: 1ZDA473W08BM
FRU: 42T4507
Design capacity:66.24 Wh
Design voltage 14.40 V

I have never abused this machine and I have never used a different power supply. This is not my fault?

What do I do now? $150. for a new battery for a $2300. machine does not sit well with me. I feel like I should be able to use the machine more than 200 times, but in reality some of those cycles are on the same day where it was discharged partly then put back on the charger. I don't mind the capacity slowly getting lower and lower but a complete failure is unacceptable. Lenovo, what are you going to do about this? Now I wonder if I made the right decision buying this W700ds.

W700ds 2.53 Core 2 Quad 4GB 128GB SSD 500GB 5k4 320GB 7k2 WUXGA + WXGA │ X60T 1.6duo 4GB 128GB SSD SXGA+ │ X32 2.0Pm 2GB 100GB 7k2 XGA │ X32 1.7Pm 1.5GB 120GB 5k4 XGA │ A31 2.5P4m 1GB 120GB 5k4 UXGA Flexview Atheros │ A31 2.2P4m 512MB 120GB 5k4 SXGA+ Atheros │ T20

Paper Tape
Hauskaz

My X60 Tablet battery is suffering from the same issue. It was covered under the recall but closed before I had purchased the machine. There are only 40 cycles on it and the sensor says it should still hold its full capacity, so I am very disappointed that I am now met with the battery error and inability to charge the battery.

What's DOS?
tclcom

[ Edited ]

Hi, I had the same problem as elad1,

Whenever the battery reaches 78%, it will drop down to 1%  in a few seconds and go hibernating. When I connect the adapter to charge the battery, it takes about half an hour to an hour  to go up to 23% (there it stays for a while), and then suddenly it reaches 100% in a sec. - exactly the same, battery can only last 30-40min.

I tried to run the battery diagnostic tool result:

"Thank you for using the Lenovo Battery Diagnostic Tool. Your battery is not eligible for replacement at this time because the diagnostic did not find any error and determined that the battery capacity is in the normal range for its age and cycle count. However, if you still believe that your battery has low capacity, you may want to take the following actions:"

I reset the battery with no change in the result. (Twice)

cycle count.        76

first used date.    2008-01

fru part no.         93p5030

but my laptop is X61 - 7673 - B54 - 8 Cell.
Mark, Can you give me some advice?