Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
travis_man

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

Nicely written posting, x61suser.   I bot the lenovo x300 in May 2008, expecting a lengthy life-of-service for this exotically expensive laptop.  As with most other posters in this thread, the battery (FRU 42T4518) vaporized instantly (and without forewarning) a few days ago.  This battery had been used/cycled very lightly in its 19 months of "service" since the x300 was mostly run on ac power.  We recently logged a service call with Lenovo, which gave us the usual reply that the battery is past warranty period.  I agree with all your points and would like to expand your inquiry beyond the x61 units to include the x300, as well.  I currently am planning to hold off on purchasing a replacement battery for several reasons, including:  I mostly run on ac power anyway, why re-buy a new but poor-quality battery, and why not wait to see if Lenovo eventually does-the-right-thing?  Here's to hoping it does!  Thx.

Paper Tape
pelle

I totally agree with the previous two posts! My battery has FRU 92P1166 and died in august with exactly the symptoms described in the recall. Of course the warranty period had expired one or two months earlier. That the capacity of the battery slowly decgrades is ok. This failure is not, 

Paper Tape
iyogee

I agree with the position taken by X61user and the statements made by all other suffering Lenovo users.

Most of us here are not posting here to squeeze a free replacement out of Lenovo. If we were to be cheap like that we would have purchased one of the several cheaper alternatives to prestigious IBM.

The point is that somewhere along the path of transition to Lenovo the quality of these expensive products was compromised. That could have been inadvertent, but it came as a shock to us faithful buyers.

Now, it is upto Lenovo to DO SOMETHING to retain its customer base. In fact a small gesture of goodwill, such as discounted price on the replacement batteries will also multiply the customer base exponentially.

If you don't trust me, ask any of your MBA interns, even they know better than so called MODs who are just trying to downplay the issue and using this forum as a vent-out for consumer grievance.

Paper Tape
proaudioguy

+1 x61 user.  My X60 Tablet is not my first experience with thinkpads.  I personally own 2 A31s, T20, T43, 2 X32s, W700ds, and the X60T.  My company has been buying thinkpads exclusively for 7 years, and before that I had a 1400i.

None of my IBM branded thinkpads have had this type of issue.  I have A31 batteries that still hold a charge, albeit for only a few minutes.  A batter that has not been abused, should not be fully functional when the computer is shut down, then be in failure 3 weeks later when it is booted up again.  I have read, and am of the opinion it may be indeed true that this is planned obsolescence to sell more batteries.  There is a ticking time bomb there designed to shut down the battery at a specific time, which may or may not be slightly randomized.  If the circumstances had been different, I may not believe that, but this thing has been babied.  It is my least used machine because it's basically just a remote control for another computer a few times a month.  The battery looks brand new, without anyy wear.  The previous capacity was about 80% of full.   Heat could not be an issues either (although if it was, I would consider that a design flaw), because this unit showed failure right at boot time after having been turned off for 3 weeks.

Fanfold Paper
alharris

Re: NEW Battery Tip - trouble with the battery diagnostic?

when I try to run it, it says "unable to contact server  check your internet connection". There is obviously nothing wrong with my internet connection - it happens whether I have a browser open or not. Any clue (esp. since my batter is one of the ones listed). Thank you.

Paper Tape
kanikavi

+1 for x61

FRU 42T4506 .

Same thing happened to my battery last year when it was  out of warranty for 3 months.  I called the Lenovo line and they said this was normal since my battery is more than a year old. This seems like the exact same problem that they recalled batteries had, yet for some reason ours are not covered. 

Paper Tape
alan1206

[ Edited ]

I got exactly same problem. I didn't really use my X61. I have few other laptop also. When I try to use it today.. the battery said 100% and jump to 3% in 5mins. i did try to do battery maintenance. it only took like 1 hour to discharge and charge the battery back. it show 100% battery. after i un-plug the power. it only last for 5 mins. right now.. it show "Your battery can only store 70% of its original full charge capacity."

I tried to run the battery diagnostic tool result:

"Thank you for using the Lenovo Battery Diagnostic Tool. Your battery is not eligible for replacement at this time because the diagnostic did not find any error and determined that the battery capacity is in the normal range for its age and cycle count. However, if you still believe that your battery has low capacity, you may want to take the following actions:"

FRU part number : 42T4567

First used date: 2008-05

Serial number : 3097

Cycle count : 78

I wonder if lenovo will replace the battery for me. Charge Count only 78 and it can't hold the charge. it look like defective battery. I have Macbook pro from apple. I have same experience after 1 year. I bring it to apple and they said my battery is defective model. They replaced it for me for free.

Paper Tape
alan1206

I been buying IBM laptop since Thinkpad 600 :smileyhappy: I own T41, X61 and lenovo S10 now. but I have 2 mac laptop. I don't know how is lenovo warranty. but when thinkpad still ibm. i am happy with it without problem. From what I saw now. I don't know if my X61 battery will get replace. it is on the list. my X61/battery is over 1 year. but i have 3 years warranty on it. I hope i can get the battery replaced.

What's DOS?
kaya10

I followed the instructions for the diagnostic, but was informed that my battery was not eligible. I wasn't able to determine why it was rejected. my FRU is 42T4506, which i noticed come up in the forum a number of times. Perhaps lenovo should consider expanding the list, or at least giving a more detailed explanation for why only certain FRU are eligible while others are not. Remember that i have to buy one of these things pretty frequently, so you want to make my decision to come back to your brand as easy as possible. In short, its about service!!

Paper Tape
rocket

I too have an X61and just got the irreparable battery warning with the blinking yellow light. This happened out of the blue. My FRU Pin 93P5032 and ASM pin 42T5209. Sorry to hear that they will be doing nothing for us. What are you going to do for us Lenovo? At the very least you should be offering a substancial discount on your batteries.