Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
fongj

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable to some T, X, R models and batteries

[ Edited ]

I have two X61 Tablet's, and suddenly the battery showed flashing orange and "There is an error" in the Power Manager, and the battery details (e.g. cycle count) don't show anymore. 

FRU: 93P5032

ASM: 42T5209

This is very disappointing.  It seems very unreasonable for the recalls covered by MIGR-67765 and BATT-082009 to not be extended to these additional batteries with issues.  I am not very happy having to spend an extra $150+ to replace a defective battery that is part of a widespread issue.

What's DOS?
Not2Happy

[ Edited ]

Have 2 X61 Tablets.

Both batteries failed (battery errors - unable to charge) last month (12/09) within days of each other.  Very few charging cycles on either battery.  Prior to failure, both were charging and working fine.  In both cases, I suspect that these failures were related to system lock-ups that appear to have been caused by thermal issues on both systems (which I'll probably be covering in another post).

Both batteries are FRU 93P5032.

Based my experience and the other posts that I've been reading, these batteries are clearly failing prematurely.  I have NEVER had a laptop battery (even old NiCd) with such a short life OR such a sudden, absolute failure.

Paper Tape
daten

[ Edited ]

My battery died this morning in my thinkpad x60 tablet.

ASM: 42T5209

I'm aware that the battery is a wearing part, however this morning it still worked, right now it's dead, means, my battery-led is blinking fast and my thinkad is is going off immediatly after removing power - it's not charging/discharging anymore.

Status according ACPI is: charged

Any success-stories about getting a replacement unit?

Gbo
Punch Card
Gbo

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, same sudden problems "battery errors - unable to charge" on my X61Tablet :

FRU 93P5032

I'm agree with the precedents posts :

'[...] Prior to failure, both were charging and working fine [...]"

'[...] these batteries are clearly failing prematurely [...]"

'[...] It seems very unreasonable for the recalls [...] to not be extended to these additional batteries with issues [...]"

'[...] getting a replacement unit? [...]"

Fanfold Paper
willcobb

[ Edited ]

FRU 93P5032,

complete failure at ~18 months.

I got the same exact failure when I woke up this morning.  Yesterday my battery worked fine and held a charge for ~3 hours of use at max performance setting.  This AM, flashing yellow light and "unable to charge" "replace your battery" indications.  Removing the power adapter = computer shuts off immediately with no power.  I (like many others who have posted) am ~6 months out of my original 12 month limited warranty. 

I purchased a 3 year ThinkPlus warranty, but was informed that the battery is not covered, even in the case of complete failure.  I agree 100% with the previous posts in this thread and on the X60t forum.  This is clearly a quality problem with this particular FRU, and Lenovo needs to step up and take care of the problem.

Fanfold Paper
gretchjing

[ Edited ]

My X61 Tablet battery went dead yesterday as well. 

Same "battery error, unable to charge" error. Calle Lenovo customer service, told that it's outside the 1 year battery warranty so they can't replace it. When asked why there're so many other users with the same issue, this is obviously a serious concern, and still nothing's being done, the supervisor actually said "this is how it's done". Well, I guess that if this is how Lenovo does things, I'm never getting a Lenovo laptop again. 

Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Hello All,

if you run WIN 7 please also check out our thread at the WIN 7 board.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
Tu13es

My parents have an X60 Tablet whose battery died as per everyone else in this thread.  I bought a new battery and the light shows as green and it shows as 100%, however as soon as I remove the plug, the system shuts down.

Any ideas?

Paper Tape
blackpit

My X61 8-cell battery charge indication started jumping from ~50% to 4% charge in the summer of 2009, when I was still not aware of the recall program, so I did nothing to remedy the situation other than wait for the battery to die completely.  I performed the battery reset, now it holds charge for about an hour, maybe less.  Still, the reading is really unreliable, sometimes it shows 0% capacity but continues to work until shutdown.  Battery condition is reported as Poor (obviously), I believe it holds 29% of its design charge capacity.  Battery has a little over 100 cycles, symptoms appeared within ~65 cycles.

laptop   : X61 7673-44G

battery  : FRU P/N 93P5030

ASM P/N 92P1174

So the battery is among those officially recalled, yet I learned about the recall program too late.  I for one agree with those who believe that all defective batteries should be recalled, not just some P/Ns, and not just between the time window given by Lenovo.  A shame for such an otherwise high quality product.  I hope Lenovo extends its recall program.

Panagiotis Hatzis

Greece

What's DOS?
Sallywing

I am in the same situation!

I used Power Management to reset the Battery last night, but when I woke up this morning..

it is dead... it shows the "irreparable damage" message

my FRU P/N 93P5029

it is eligible for replacement last year, but not now!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67765.html

and I heard that sometimes even replace a new battery, the same situation will pop up again?