Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
SteveCr48
Accepted Solution

New X220 owner: Trackpoint, how to make it productive?

I'm the proud owner of an X220 and a first-time Thinkpad owner. One problem: the Trackpoint. Everything takes me longer, scrolling, clicking, pointing, everything! You loyalists, does it get easier? Help me out, please. Is there a learning curve? Are you actually faster with the red Tracpoint? Or, does everyone carry a USB mouse in their case? I've set mine up so the trackpad is off. The Trackpoint is set to scroll, regular mode. (Smooth scroll is weird and awkward.) Is the Trackpoint productive once you learn to not overshoot and how to hit small spots precisely? Thanks!!!
T400, X220
802.11n
joncordova

Re: New X220 owner: Trackpoint, how to make it productive?

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's just practice.

The technique that worked for me was to go into the Mouse settings and dial all the sensitivities down as low as they could go--"pointer speed" all the way low, click on "enhance pointer precision," then go to the Ultranav tab, click Trackpoint Settings, and put the slider all the way to "Firm Touch."

Having the settings like this will give you the most leeway to learn the trackpoint. As you are learning, it will take you longer to move the mouse pointer than it would with the touchpad or a mouse. But you'll get to keep your hands right over the home keys even when you're mousing. (That's why the trackpoint seems to go hand in hand with touch typing, I think.) Over time, you'll get better and faster at the trackpoint, and you can crank the sensitivities back up little by little.

Eventually, you'll be moving the cursor as quickly as you could with a mouse or the touchpad.

I haven't plugged a USB mouse into my X220 ever, I think, and I prefer the Trackpoint to all other forms of mouse control including big multitouch touchpads.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Poom

took me a good few weeks to get used to it. i disabled the trackpad/clickpad now. about to order an usb keyboard with trackpoint for my desktop. im so used to the trackpoint right now, and it really proved to be more productive. but again, it also depends on what you use your thinkpad for, i mostly type on it, MS office stuff, so not moving my fingers off the home keys save me a lot of time. but if you use it for lets say, graphic design, then the trackpoint might not be so productive.

but it definitely takes time to get used to. i dont use it like how they are intended actually. (use right index finger for the trackpoint and right thumb to click), i use right index finger for the trackpoint and left thumb to click. you might want to try different ways find the one that is most comfortable for you. for me, i think im using my middle finger on the trackpoint is easier than the index finger. and right pinky for the back button proved to be very very useful (especially while surfing the internet).

regards

Poom

Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, joncordova and Poom! First, for the practical advice -- I dialed down the sensitivity, as you suggested joncordova (previously, it was uber-sensitive), and second for the reassurance that once you get the hang of the Trackpoint, it's fast. Poom, it's especially cool that you actually like the Trackpoint so much that you ordered a Lenovo desktop keyboard. Wow. 

I'm a rebel at heart, so I'm committed to giving the Trackpoint an honest go. Thanks for your encouraging words and for your commitment to the Lenovo Community. Your appreciated! 

T400, X220
Guru
HiVolt

You will get better at it as you use it. There are also different tips available for it, you can grab some to see which one feels better and is more accurate to use.

http://www.amazon.com/IBM-73P2698-Trackpoint-Cap-Collection/dp/B0001CLYL6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=132...
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, HiVolt. Exactly what I need to hear, namely, "You will get better as you use it"! 

I just discovered Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller for the Chrome browser, and it actually works very well, amazingly well. 

I sprung for an X220 because it has a loyal following that rivals Macs. I'm determined to learn what it is, aside from the IPS screen which is unparalleled.

T400, X220
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Poom

hi steve hope you feel better with the trackpoint by now.

just wannna add another thing. Hot Keys are quite important to improve your productivity, so dont ignore to learn all the hot keys for whatever application you use.

since you dont move your fingers away from the keyboard much with the trackpoint, its much more productive to use as much hotkeys as possible.

well at least i feel i get more productivity that way. especially with windows 7, makes it much faster to do many things without the mouse.

hope this helps

Poom

Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, Poom. I'm feeling much better. Slowing the movement and the sensitivity, plus enabling Smooth Scroll as a Chrome extension, and now remembering to learn as many shortcut/hot keys as possible is really helpful.

I really appreciate your encouragement! There's a long story behind my determination to want to learn to master the Trackpoint, which I'll save for another day :smileyhappy:

Thanks again for your suggestions!! You've pushed me to not give up.
T400, X220