Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
longfu
Accepted Solution

New x230 problem during sleep mode

I just got my x230 yesterday and I'm having some weird issues. 

(1) whenever my laptop goes to sleep mode. I can't seem to make it wake up. The power button would just slowly blink and would not respond to anything. I would have to hard reset my laptop for it to turn on. When I turn it back on, it would go the "Start windows normally" screen.

(2) whenever I close the lid, I'm guessing it tries to go to sleep mode, then if I wake it up, the system seem to reboot and would go to the "start windows normally" screen.

Both seems to all relates to sleep mode. Does any body have the same issue?  I really need help.

Thanks

sarbin

Re: New x230 problem during sleep mode

welcome to the community!

the power button is supposed to blink slowly while the pc is in stand-by mode. try pressing the Fn key to wake your machine up.

please post back if this works for you.

cheers.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it as the Solution.
Community Resources: Participation RulesSearchPrivate MessagingEspañolDeutsche
X301 X220 X200T T61p T60pT420 T510 T400 R400 T61Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.
Paper Tape
longfu

Hi sarbin,

Thanks for the response.  I've tried pressing Fn but it's still telling me that windows didn't shut down property and start window (safe mode, etc.) screen.

This is from just selecting it to sleep.

Paper Tape
longfu

I may have fixed the problem.  I tried upgrading the ram (from 4gb to 16gb).  Now sleep mode works as its supposed to be.

I guess 4gb wasn't sufficient for x230.  It sucks that I had to upgrade something just to make the unit work.  I was hoping to test run this unit for a month without upgrading.

Oh well....

Paper Tape
miaji24

I have the same problem. Is there a way to solve it without replace the ram?

HDMI
achim19890

You can disable the sleep mode and use the suspend mode. Normally, if your system changes to suspend mode the content of your RAM will be written to your harddrive, so the size of your RAM won't matter. Jus tmake sure that there is 1.5x the size of your RAM free on your harddrive. 

In combination with a SSD as your system drive there won't be a great difference in boot time between sleep mode and suspend mode.

##############################################################
Using x230t (i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 80GB mSata-SSD) and loving it!

"I may not own the world but I own my mind and therefore the world is at my feets." (me)
##############################################################
Paper Tape
randomterror7

Hi,

I've got the exact same problem. If I put the the laptop into sleep by pressing Fn + F4, it's fine. However, if the laptop goes to sleep by itself, there's no way I can wake it up (not even by pressing Fn). I have already shut it down manually for more than 10 times already. Please help. Thanks

Punch Card
HLily

I am also bumping this discussion to see if anyone has had any luck with a solution to this sleep problem. I have had this issue as well - twice in the past few days. When I use the Fn-F4 combination to put my x230 to sleep and close the lid, it wakes when the lid is opened. It also seems to wake using the Fn key if I out it to sleep and don't close the lid.

But if I leave it on and it goes into sleep mode by itself, the Fn key will not always wake it. It hasn't happened all of the time - so that is the mystery. I am wondering if maybe it is something running in the background that is hanging it when it sleeps on its own. I usually make a point to put it to sleep - but if I walk away and leave it and it sleeps on its own - that seems to be when I can't wake it and need to restart it. The power button blinks and won't wake it either.

This has happened even if it has only been alseep for a short time - 20-30 minutes - and sometimes longer.

I have it set NOT to wake with the mouse. It is set to sleep 10 minutes after no activity when on battery, 20 minutes on power.

This computer is about 2 months old.

Anyone have any ideas or a solution?

Thanks!

HL

What's DOS?
lukmanull

I'm having the same problem, I think ram is not the problem, mine has 8GB of ram. Waiting for Solution from lenovo/

Punch Card
HLily

[ Edited ]

And from the length of this - and other discussions about this issue - there is no solution being offered by Lenovo.

I have been keeping a log and these seem to help:

1. Always close my email program before allowing the laptop to sleep.

2. Always making sure that there is sufficient battery for the sleep time - at least 15% - and when it is low I connect it to charge while sleeping.

3. Making sure that there is no hard drive activity when I set it to sleep.

4. Turn off USB wireless mouse.

5. Use FnF4 to set it to sleep, then close lid.

I have let it sleep in its own and also when closing the lid after doing #1-3 above. I've run into the problem a few times - but it does seem better (hopefully not "cursing" myself for saying so - LOL) - but I have no confidence that this is a long-term solution and fully expect the problem to reoccur at any moment.

Since I have seen this discussed quite a few times in these forums - and since I was assured by Lenovo that the X230s DID NOT have this issue - I am disappointed that no one has any type of official solution. 

Lenovo??

Anyone??