Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
jeli2657

Re: Options in running Windows from an mSATA drive

John,

I did a fresh install on my mSATA from a Win7 disk, then loaded over all the Lenovo drivers and utilities. By doing this the recovery parittion is still located on the traditional spinning hard disk. I had to install Rescue & Recovery onto the SSD, and that updated my MBR automatically so now the blue ThinkVantage button will load the recovery paritition from the spinning disk. Going this route I avoid wasting the SSD space on the recovery partition.

As far as hibernation, I agree it is a total waste to spend 6GB of SSD space on a hibernation file. I don't know how to move the file, but I do know how to disable hibernation. I never hibernate anyway, I either go to stand-by or just shut down. With an SSD boot disk, shutting down and powering back up is just as fast as hibernating anyway. If you interested, here's how to disable hibernation:

Open an elevated command prompt (right-click on command prompt icon and choose "run as administrator")

type in:

powercfg -h off

Reboot your computer, and you can now safely delete that huge hiberfil.sys file from the C: drive.

If you ever want to turn hibernation back on you can with:

powercfg -h on

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

jeli2657 wrote:

John,

I did a fresh install on my mSATA from a Win7 disk, then loaded over all the Lenovo drivers and utilities. By doing this the recovery parittion is still located on the traditional spinning hard disk. I had to install Rescue & Recovery onto the SSD, and that updated my MBR automatically so now the blue ThinkVantage button will load the recovery paritition from the spinning disk. Going this route I avoid wasting the SSD space on the recovery partition.

As far as hibernation, I agree it is a total waste to spend 6GB of SSD space on a hibernation file. I don't know how to move the file, but I do know how to disable hibernation. I never hibernate anyway, I either go to stand-by or just shut down. With an SSD boot disk, shutting down and powering back up is just as fast as hibernating anyway. ..

Thanks for the response, especially the part on keeping the Recovery Partition on HDD.

The problem with turning off Hibernation is that the system will crash if it runs out of battery power on Standby instead of going into Hibernation, so I'd prefer to keep Hibernation on. Since the Hibernation file cannot be moved from the boot drive, I plan to try the EasyBCD method I describe in my updated post once I get up the courage. :smileywink:

John

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Fanfold Paper
jeli2657

[ Edited ]

You can configure what happens when the battery gets low in the Poewr Settings (fn-F3). I set mine to give an alarm at 10% remaining, and actually shut down at 5% remaining.

Anything that said "go to hibernate" I either disabled or changed to "shut down". Once you configure the power settings correctly you can safely disable hibernation, if that's what you want.

Fanfold Paper
jeli2657

[ Edited ]

I just had another thought on moving the hibernation file. I'm fairly certain this will work but I have not tested it, so I can't say so for sure. I did something very similiar to move my entire Users folder to the D: drive, and I don't see why I couldn't do the same with the hibernation file.

Boot into Recovery Console. You will need a Windows 7 DVD or USB stick, or some other method to get into Recovery Console.

Once inside, move the hibernation file.

robocopy /MOVE /COPYALL C:\hiberfil.sys D:\hiberfil.sys

Now create a symlink on the C: drive poining to the file on the D: drive. A symlink is similiar to a shortcut, but Windows will behave like the file is actually on the C: drive instead of the D: drive. Doing this will essentiall trick the OS into thinking the file is still on C: when it's not.

mklink C:\hiberfil.sys D:\hiberfil.sys

Reboot your computer. Done!

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

jeli2657 wrote:

I just had another thought on moving the hibernation file. I'm fairly certain this will work but I have not tested it, so I can't say so for sure. I did something very similiar to move my entire Users folder to the D: drive, and I don't see why I couldn't do the same with the hibernation file.

Now create a symlink on the C: drive poining to the file on the D: drive. A symlink is similiar to a shortcut, but Windows will behave like the file is actually on the C: drive instead of the D: drive. Doing this will essentiall trick the OS into thinking the file is still on C: when it's not.

I'm pretty sure this will not work for the Hibernation File -- see Windows Confidential The File System Paradox.

For moving User files the official approach is to change Location in personal folder Properties.

Other kinds of folder redirection (e.g., symlink) can cause problems with Recycle Bin.

jeli2657 wrote:
You can configure what happens when the battery gets low in the Poewr Settings (fn-F3). I set mine to give an alarm at 10% remaining, and actually shut down at 5% remaining.
Anything that said "go to standy" I either disabled or changed to "shut down". Once you configure the power settings correctly you can safely disable hibernation, if that's what you want.

What I want is for the computer not to crash or turn off if it runs out of battery power in Standby -- I don't want to lose system state and open programs -- so I don't want to turn off or disable Hibernation.

Since my last update I used EasyBCD to change the Boot Drive from C to D, and it apparently worked, with my system now booting from HDD (D) into Windows (C). But Windows seems to want to keep the Hibernation file on C. I'm investigating...

UPDATE: Although EasyBCD appears to change the Boot Drive from SSD C to HDD D, the change doesn't stick, even though I changed the boot order in the BIOS -- the system keeps booting from SSD C. I'm investigating...

UPDATE 2: Actually it does work. The problem is that Windows considers SSD C as the boot drive even though the boot actually started from HDD D, and then puts the Hibernation File on SSD C, so this method can't be used to move the Hibernation File off of the SSD. :smileysad:

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]