Protective film layer on ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch models

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎01-03-2013 by
Modified ‎01-03-2013 by
(9,678 Views)

Protective film layer on ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch models

Question

I just unpacked my new ThinkPad X1 Carbon touch and noticed that it appears as though the screen has a protective plastic film affixed to it.  It is most noticeable around the mic and cam, where holes appear to exist.

I can't find any documentation saying that this should be removed, and it's not easy to pry the sheet off at the corners (in fact, I've had zero luck, but haven't tried much because I don't want to damage anything). Do I keep trying to pry the sheet off or assume it's part of the design?  

Answer

There is a protective film layer that covers the display and should not be removed.  

This extends over the viewing area and stops about 1/32" from the edge.   There are circular reliefs around the camara and two microphone ports at the top of the screen where this layer can also more easily be seen.

x1 carbon touch film.jpg

Comments
by JonDeutsch on ‎02-10-2013 07:43 AM

But, Mark_Lenovo -- this screen protector creates a very undesirable 'screen door effect' that makes it quite uncomfortable to read text on a white background (i.e., 90% of all internet browsing).   Can anything be done to retrofit another type of screen protector on the LCD to reduce the screen door effect that really hobbles the user experience on this otherwise top-tier laptop?

Thx.
Jon

by GaboG on ‎05-06-2013 02:39 PM

I agree with Jon's comment, the film makes the display look blurry and it puts significant stress on my eyes, Even though the Carbon is a great laptop, I'm hesitant to recommend it because of this "protective film" on the display. It would be good if removing it was supported, I don't mind about the glare, readability is the main issue for me and as it is right now, is not good.

Thanks

Gabo

by laflour on ‎05-09-2013 07:57 AM

Mark, why then non-touch X1 doestn has this filming if it was added to "touch" for protective purposes?

For me that filming affects the screen negatively

by orlandotommy ‎03-24-2014 10:00 AM - edited ‎03-24-2014 01:39 PM

by pieceofmind7 ‎05-06-2014 12:16 PM - edited ‎05-06-2014 12:19 PM

With all the complaints on the screen door effect, why was this ignored and the problem rolled to the X1 Carbon 2nd gen? The problem persists and ruin the point of high def screens! It's hard on the eyes and make you think something is wrong with your eyes or the computer.

by DanielSimk on ‎05-14-2014 11:12 AM

Mark, please advise if there is any recourse with regards to this problem?

Apparently the latest X1s do not have the protective film that the 2013 models have.

Indication that Lenovo have acknowledged this problem.

I now have a screen wit ha half-peeled screen film.

Please advise.

Cotnacting Lenovo support in the UK is absolutely impossible.

Thanks

by lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor on ‎05-14-2014 11:25 AM

The latest Thinkpad x1 carbon gen 2 does have the film if you get the WQHD with touch, the non touch model is a standard matte LCD. 

by tnolte on ‎07-14-2014 03:44 AM

@lead_org: That is not true. I have the 20A7-005RGE an it has a film on the display. You can see it on top of the screen around the camera. One of my customers have the gen1 touch and the effect is much much stronger than on the gen2, But it's there too !! Trust me !! I'm in front of it right now.....!

by DyMndSkiR ‎07-19-2014 06:45 AM - edited ‎07-19-2014 06:46 AM

This film is unbelievably frustrating. I am switching jobs and chose to stay with the T440s under my new employment, although I had to get a new laptop. This time I chose to go with the touchscreen version, only to now see a film that causes graininess across my entire screen. I am coming from a T440s non-touchscreen with the AUO display (got lucky with that one) and that picture quality is exactly what I was wanting. I am highly disappointed in this unremovable film and will certainly be calling in regarding this.

Is there any way to completely and safely remove it? I get the sense it is no more important to the screen than say a Zagg screen protector would be, IE touchscreen wll work perfectly fine without it, etc. Very frustrating as screen protectors like this ALWAYS cause some kind of disruption in the picture quality and I never saw mention of this film in any of the reviews I read about the touchscreen of this laptop.

by Cwinder ‎07-28-2014 06:19 PM - edited ‎07-28-2014 06:20 PM

Mark,

This is truly irritating.  I had a gen 1 X1C (no touch) and my IT dept just ordered me a Gen 2 X1CT.  They thought they were doing me a favor, but I hate it.  The screen is blurry.  It is awful.   I don't need a touch screen (nor do I really want one  - three if my colleagues have them (X1CT)  and don't use the touch feature). My IT dept just spent 4 hours transferring all my programs and files over and as we pay them by the hour, I now will have to pay them to do it again if I exchange the laptop plus pay handling/restocking fees. 

What would happen if I peel off the plastic cover?

Best,

CW