Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
JNavas
Accepted Solution

RapidDrive Advanced for X220

[ Edited ]

At long last Lenovo has released a solution for managing X220 computers equipped both mSATA SSD and HDD:

RapidDrive Advanced for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad   1.00.13   03 Nov 2011

Supported ThinkPad Systems

• Edge E120, Edge E125, Edge E220s, Edge E320, Edge E325
  • Edge E420, Edge E420s, Edge E425, Edge E520, Edge E525
  • L420, L421, L520
  • T420, T420i, T520, T520i
  • W520
  • X1, X121e
  • X220, X220i, X220 Tablet, X220i Tablet

Not much information is included on how it works or on how to install it properly on systems already in use,

but some details can be found in Introduction to reinstalling Windows on the machines built with Rapid Drive.

Fig. 8 suggests it's possible to have the OEM recovery partition on just the HDD, but it's not clear how the system

is (re)configured to make that work. I currently have OEM recovery partitions on both mSATA SSD and HDD

because I started by cloning my HDD onto the (Intel) mSATA SSD that I added after purchase.

I'm guessing I need to free up a lot of space on my HDD to install RapidDrive, which will be a hassle, since

I've already moved my User profile directories to the D: partition on my HDD. I'm guessing I will have to

move most of my data to an external USB HDD; move my User profile directories back to the SSD; free up that

HDD space; install RapidDrive; and then move my data back to the X220, depending on RapidDrive to place

it properly..

But I hate to proceed just on guesswork. I'd like to know if it all the effort will be worthwhile as compared to

what I have now. And I'd like to know if this will really allow me to delete the OEM recovery partition from the

mSATA SSD in favor of the HDD without losing functionality.

Lenovo? Now that RapidDrive is released for the X220, can I please finally get some support on this?

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: RapidDrive Advanced for X220

"RapidDrive Advanced" is not the same thing as "Rapid Drive".  The two links in your post are about completely different and unrelated products.  "RapidDrive Advanced" is software for the ThinkPad products that you mentioned in your post.  "Rapid Drive" is software for certain Lenovo Idea-branded products.  It's unfortunate that these products share such similar names.

"RapidDrive Advanced" is software that automatically moves your libraries from your C: drive (SSD) to your D: drive (HDD).  In addition to this there are some caching/backup capabilities where some of your most commonly accessed files in your libraries are cached and backed up on the SSD, even if the actual file is stored in a library on the D: drive.

"RapidDrive Advanced" DOES NOT create a virtual C: drive that spans both the SSD and the HDD.

In your case where your OS is already on the SSD and your libraries are already on the HDD, I don't think there is much (if any) value in this software.  "RapidDrive Advanced" is more for the user that does not know how to do that, or for the preload so that the system that has SSD + HDD comes preconfigured this way from factory.

802.11n
JNavas

someotherguy wrote:
[SNIP]
In your case where your OS is already on the SSD and your libraries are already on the HDD, I don't think there is much (if any) value in this software.  "RapidDrive Advanced" is more for the user that does not know how to do that, or for the preload so that the system that has SSD + HDD comes preconfigured this way from factory.

Thank you very much for the prompt, substantive, helpful reply.
That leaves me with just one important question: What do I need to do to be able to delete the OEM recovery partition from the SSD leaving just the one on the HDD without losing any functionality? (I built the system by cloning the HDD onto the SSD, and then installing the OS by doing a system recovery from the SSD.) I'd still like to be able to press the Blue ThinkVantage button before boot to access the OEM recovery partition on the HDD. Will this happen automatically? Can Rescue and Recovery be used to make this happen (as I've heard in unconfirmed rumors)?

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Guru
ColonelONeill

Rescue and Recovery will get you into a rescue environment. If you wipe the recovery partition, you may be able to point the restore function at the recovery partition on the hard drive. Not sure.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

It is not a goal of "RapidDrive Advanced" software to do that.  And I don't know how to do it manually.  It may be possible to do it by mucking around with the bootloader (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886(WS.10).aspx).  Lenovo does not intend for you to leave the Q drive on your SSD or HDD indefinitely.  The intent is for the user to write the recovery image to DVD or USB, and then recover the drive space.

802.11n
JNavas

someotherguy wrote:

It is not a goal of "RapidDrive Advanced" software to do that.  And I don't know how to do it manually.  It may be possible to do it by mucking around with the bootloader (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886(WS.10).aspx).  Lenovo does not intend for you to leave the Q drive on your SSD or HDD indefinitely.  The intent is for the user to write the recovery image to DVD or USB, and then recover the drive space.

Thanks for letting me know.

I wish I had seen some documentation on this. I wasted a good deal of time.

I'm now in the process of creating recovery media on a 16GB USB flash drive,

after which I will recover both recovery partitions.

Hope that helps,
John
Token Ring
orion9727

just some ietms to be aware of.

msata only works sata 2 mode 3.0Gbs speed even on sandys that are 6 on the main drive.

the rapid boot software only makes use of win 7 boot time reporting that allows you to delay certin slow start up items.

in other words it wont change autostarts you add or change the win 7 core settings.

want to boot faster here what i do.

1. turn off disc compression / you do that in the main drive window in my computer and uncheck the lower box,googlle it first as it will ask you a all files so you might freaked out/a old tweek by the way.

2.in ms config you can select the number of cpu and cores to use for a faster boot/run box msconfig/select boot /advanced/ and enter the number of cores you have above 1.

3.change the boot time delay.this is used on multi os so if you not multi booting no need for os deley.system/options /time to start windows....just uncheck the box and change the 30 to 0.

this also means you have to enter any options fast like safe mode or others,i am sure we can all do this in 2 secs.

this delay is really not needed in windows 7 anymore so it helps.

4. autostarts you dont need like adobe speedlaucher or yahoo mess and such.

these you can use and call for anytime and they are things no software can avoid no matter how good unless YOU select to do other wise.

ccleaner has a start up option where you can turn them off.

5.go to the eventviewer and look at what is slow and google them and think about what you should do about them.

note i said THINK,i can tell you to delete them or whatever as they may be vital windows core ietem or start throwing events that will slow you down as well as windows logs everything.

you need to look at why they throw a event warning.

do these things and you beat even lenovo best boot times.

the rapid boot programs works pretty well but it not a cure all for certin core items.

it also part of the intel rapid boot with a msata and ssd.

so for advanced rapid to work you need a ssd on the msata port.

NOTE; msata is sata 2 3.0GBs speed and msata disc are slower then the 2.5 standard size as well.

bottem line is if you want really fast you need it on the 2.5 drive sata 0 port witha chipset that surports sata 3 6.0 speed(sandy bridge cpu).

also note that the msata drive MUST BE RAPID BOOT .not all are some are the old asus eeepc pci/msata type.

in otherwords jmicron drives that some run ata mode and some run ata to sata mode and really slow non achi type.

i would pass by any sandforce as well and just pick a intel for a msata or go right for the throat on the sata main port notebook drive slot.

for rapid to fully work again you need a ssd and the rapid boot software as well as setting up the drive to boot fast.

it really a combo of items.

802.11n
JNavas

orion9727 wrote:
2.in ms config you can select the number of cpu and cores to use for a faster boot/run box msconfig/select boot /advanced/ and enter the number of cores you have above 1.

3.change the boot time delay.this is used on multi os so if you not multi booting no need for os deley.system/options /time to start windows....just uncheck the box and change the 30 to 0.

this also means you have to enter any options fast like safe mode or others,i am sure we can all do this in 2 secs.

Without changing anything:

2. Windows will use all your processors by default at boot up.

3. Boot time delay does not come into play unless you have multiple boot options.

Hope that helps,
John
WWAN
hazart

JNavas wrote:

orion9727 wrote:

Without changing anything:

2. Windows will use all your processors by default at boot up.

3. Boot time delay does not come into play unless you have multiple boot options.

Agreed.

A culprit of Lenovo RapidBoot: it seems to delay Windows Search service so much that within a couple minutes of entering the Windows desktop, I can't use the Start menu search at all. Btw, I think that RapidBoot will be more beneficial to HDD users than to SSD users.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

hazart wrote:
A culprit of Lenovo RapidBoot: it seems to delay Windows Search service so much that within a couple minutes of entering the Windows desktop, I can't use the Start menu search at all. Btw, I think that RapidBoot will be more beneficial to HDD users than to SSD users.

Right you are!

My X220 boots up (from fingerprint swipe to desktop appearing, including unlock of both mSATA SSD and HDD) in:

• 42-43 secs with RapidBoot 1.0 installed
  • 43-44 secs after uninstalling RapidBoot

The time difference is not significant, and the system is immediately much more responsive without RapidBoot.

Thanks for the tip!

Note: A new version of RapidBoot was recently released: 1.11 (30 Oct 2011).

Hope that helps,
John