Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
orion9727

Re: RapidDrive Advanced for X220

most people turn off windows seach.
disable hiber.
set up services to disable any they wont use and windows items such as tablet so on.
as for my experence i been doing testing on boot times for a decade so dont take my word for it,test it yourself.
mayby a fine cpu like john has a sandy i7 cores wont make a difference but on a lower one it will.
windows 7 would not left it in the system config menu if it was not vailid.
i did the beta on win 7 and vista,xp and boot times was a huge focas on 7.
the many services of 7 will be 8 major focas.
i have had some of the fastest record boot times on a desktop without EFI bios and sata 3 so i pretty solid on what works and what wont.
i know more ram will slow a boot and what is pure snake oil.
the best performance possible on the sandys is port 0 sata 3 drive like a m4 or a samsung 830.msata is still sata 2 mode only even on a sandy.and msata drives never run as fast as there biger brothers do.
Token Ring
orion9727

my B575 boots 24-26 offical time in lenovo EE boot record.
thats on a samsung 830 64GB on a brazos platform.
i am sata 2 caped for some reason sandys are not.
it probley the hudson chipset is not a true A50M.
there a few chipsets for the brazos platform not all are sata 3 6.0Gps.
the brazos x are i belive.
45 secs is not good for a ssd thats platter time on a well setup win 7 installed system.
i also have 6gb of ram that i am testing not as fast as the 4 by a tiny difference.
a fine cpu like a i7 2620 should be in the low 20's if not around 18 or so.
that a real stomper i bet in the right hands mayby a 15 and over is posible.
i can post a screen shot if you like.
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

orion9727 wrote:
[1] most people turn off windows seach.
[2] disable hiber.
[3] set up services to disable any they wont use and windows items such as tablet so on.
[4] as for my experence i been doing testing on boot times for a decade so dont take my word for it,test it yourself.
[5] mayby a fine cpu like john has a sandy i7 cores wont make a difference but on a lower one it will.
[6] windows 7 would not left it in the system config menu if it was not vailid.
[7] i did the beta on win 7 and vista,xp and boot times was a huge focas on 7.
[8] the many services of 7 will be 8 major focas.
[9] i have had some of the fastest record boot times on a desktop without EFI bios and sata 3 so i pretty solid on what works and what wont.
[10] i know more ram will slow a boot and what is pure snake oil.
[11] the best performance possible on the sandys is port 0 sata 3 drive like a m4 or a samsung 830.msata is still sata 2 mode only even on a sandy.and msata drives never run as fast as there biger brothers do.
my B575 boots 24-26 offical time in lenovo EE boot record.
thats on a samsung 830 64GB on a brazos platform.
i am sata 2 caped for some reason sandys are not.
it probley the hudson chipset is not a true A50M.
there a few chipsets for the brazos platform not all are sata 3 6.0Gps.
the brazos x are i belive.
[12] 45 secs is not good for a ssd thats platter time on a well setup win 7 installed system.
i also have 6gb of ram that i am testing not as fast as the 4 by a tiny difference.
[13] a fine cpu like a i7 2620 should be in the low 20's if not around 18 or so.
that a real stomper i bet in the right hands mayby a 15 and over is posible.
i can post a screen shot if you like.

Please don't spread rumors and bad information:

1. Most people do not turn off Windows Search, which is very useful.
  2. Disabling hibernation can save SSD space but then the system will crash if it runs out of battery power.
  3. Disabling "tablet" will not have a material effect on boot times.
  4. I've been doing this for much longer than a decade.
  5. There is very little difference in boot time between the Core i5 and the Core i7.
    The real benefit of the Core i7 comes in specialized tasks like rendering.
  6. MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting tool, not a performance tool.
  7. I likewise did the Windows 7 beta.
  8. The boot focus is on kernel and loader optimization, not services, which are essential.
    If a service is not needed, it's not started.
  9. I don't need hacking or SATA 3 for fast boot times.
  10. More RAM does not slow boot time.
  11. SATA ver 3 does not yet show a significant real world benefit over SATA ver 2.
  12. My boot times are excellent. You probably missed the fact that much of my measured time
    was for fingerprint reading and unlocking of the two drives. Windows itself boots very fast.*
  13. Save the screen shot -- I'm not going to waste time on a boot time contest.
    I rarely boot -- usually just resume from standby (or hibernation). :smileywink:

UPDATE: * Time from "Starting Windows" to desktop appearing is only about 17 sec.

And that's with security enabled. If I disabled security, it would be even faster.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]