Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
hooverw

Recommendations on creating and deploying hard drive images

I am the tech coordinator of a small rural school district.  Last year, we started a 1to1 laptop program for our middle school, and will be rolling the program to the High School.  With 250 laptops deployed, I need to find an easy, and cost effective solution for rolling images to the Lenovo X120e laptops. 

We currently have Norton Ghost for our image deployment, but with the limitations on Windows 7 with sysprep, I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 357
Solutions: 143

Re: Recommendations on creating and deploying hard drive images

Hello,

Do you have a Software Assurance license from Microsoft (or its equivalent for educational institutions)?  If so, you might want to look into using using the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack.  Even if you don't, you can still learn quite a bit about deploying via the Windows 7 Deployment section of Microsoft's TechNet web site.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Lenovo Technology Partner
WinOutreach4

Re: Recommendations on creating and deploying hard drive images

[ Edited ]

You should look into the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, which is a common console for many of Microsoft’s deployment tools. MDT can be downloaded here.

There is a lot of information on learning about deploying Windows 7 on the Deliver page of the Springboard Series on TechNet. The Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals article and the Build a Better Desktop Image article are both great places to start (in the ‘Start with the Basics’ section).

MDT allows you do keep software separate from the image for ease of updating. You can create a task to install software after the base image is deployed. When there are updates for the software, you can just update the software and not have to re-capture another image, and Windows updates can be injected into the Windows image offline.

If you already have a Windows Server, MDT will work in conjunction with the Windows Deployment Services role, and allows multicast imaging and PXE boot imaging.

The best part for the school system is that MDT is FREE.

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

P.S. There is a TechNet Webcast coming up on May 15th and 17th: Everything you wanted to know and ask about Windows Deployment (Parts 1 and 2) Registration link for 15th and Registration link for 17th