Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
knoba
Accepted Solution

Recover HDP from fingerprint

Hello,

I retrofitted X201 with Intel 320 SSD. Secured it with HDP. After that i setup Client Security and started to use fingerprint. It happened that I would youse only fingerprint to start PC (e.g. I did not have to enter password to boot PC).

Eventually I forgot my password and I am stuck with fingerprint only. If there any chances to recover password from my fingerprint?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Recover HDP from fingerprint

While the fingerprint software has a feature to recover your Windows password, there is no such feature to recover your hardware passwords.  In fact the fingerprint reader doesn't really know what your HDD password is - all it saves is a hash of your password.  And it is not possible to recover the actual password from the hash.  This is for security reasons.

You'll either have to remember your password or else just keep using your fingerprint as you do today.  There's no other option.

Punch Card
Franky-Tech

Re: Recover HDP from fingerprint

If it is just a case of keeping multiple sign in options, then when you log on with your fingerprint you can remove your password and create a new one.