Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dsp
SCSI Port
dsp

Speed of interfaces - USB vs. Cardbus vs. SD Card etc.

[ Edited ]
Hi,
I try to figure out, which option would be best to save some private data (not OS!):
1) on USB stick with a fast stick (Interface will be probably faster than the stick,
2) on SD Card (how good is the performance, compared to USB?)
3) on CF Card via Cardbus in PCMCIA slot (limiting factor is probably the cardbus interface?)
4) on SSD via Expresscard (is the PCMCIA slot Expresscard ready and is it fast?)

Is there a place to find such performance figures?

dsp

(its an X60 - 1706-AA7)

Update:
regarding option 3+4 it looks a bit scary:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=231889

Message Edited by dsp on 04-07-2008 07:07 AM

Message Edited by dsp on 04-07-2008 07:37 AM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: Speed of interfaces - USB vs. Cardbus vs. SD Card etc.

the performance of each interface really depends on your memory chip in each of the system you use. USB 2.0 theoretical limit sustained read/write speed is 480 mbs... but you would never to get to that fast with the normal usb drive you purchase off the shelf... most of the memory sticks i bought would only sustain a write speed of around 10 mbs if i am lucky, most of the SD cards (i.e. x100 to x133) have around that same speed... your best option would be to get the SSD option using a good quality adapter cardbus adapter....
dsp
SCSI Port
dsp

Thanks -
so it means an external cardbus adapter (via USB? Firewire?), as the built in Ricoh probably is poor in performance? (See link in my first post - the X60 has the same cardbus adapter).

dsp
dsp
SCSI Port
dsp

[ Edited ]
Hi,
I bought a 4GB Flash Voyager from Corsair. Specs say about 9MByte/s writing and 19 MByte/s reading speed - h2testw shows about 7,9 MByte/s writing and 28,9 MBytes (!!!) reading...

dsp

Message Edited by dsp on 04-09-2008 02:04 PM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

it should be good....