Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
ColMaki

The Official Request Thread: I Want a Second Fan On My X61!

[ Edited ]

As many of the forum members know, the X61 has a serious heat problem in the right palm rest. Under the palm rest, the wireless adapter is installed and it generates heat while working. Lenovo tried to solve this problem between the X60 and the X61 series in several methods including installing a second fan under the right palm rest.

Unfortunately, Lenovo didn't thought that all it's customers that paid good dollars for this premium model deserve the extra fan.

Only customers with the WWAN option are lucky enough to work on a cool palm rest. The others just don't get the fan.

The problem greatly increased since the introduction of the 4965AGN wireless adapter that generates even more heat when using G or N networks. People that are complaining on the heat and send their notebooks to Lenovo, are getting their motherboards replaced - and that's solves nothing.

Anyone understands that working with a hot palm rest can have seriously negative health implications and may cause a physical harm.

Please sign in this thread so the people in Lenovo will know that we will not go quiet on this.The second fan should have been default on all models. We expect that Lenovo will add this fan to any x61 owner who requests it, wherever in warranty or not.

If you have a blog or you are a member of other forums, please post this link there also so more people can join and influence on the company.

Please digg:
Message Edited by ColMaki on 08-29-2008 01:26 PM
Fanfold Paper
samanthalo

Re: The Official Request Thread: I Want a Second Fan On My X61!

[ Edited ]
I second! Hopefully they change it before my warranty expire. I won't buy any Thinkpad again. If it is like this hot, what's the different between a Thinkpad and other laptops? I thought Thinkpad should be better. I guess it is just wasting my money.
Message Edited by samanthalo on 08-28-2008 12:53 PM
Serial Port
ColMaki

I agree with you. The Thinkpad notebooks are supposed to be better engineered, and they charge a premium price for them. I expect no less than perfect from this company and the notebook is very disappointing in terms of usability. What's the point of having a notebook that can work for 7 hours anywhere, if you can't lay your hands on it for more than a hour??
Serial Port
gabrielshaste

I'll join to sign this.  I've had my x61 for just a few weeks and I notice it too!  I have another x61 with WWAN and it's never that hot.
Thinkpad T400 6474-R2U
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Serial Port
ColMaki

What amazes me in this story is that Lenovo knows about the problem, and doesn't even offer this as an option during purchase. What's the big deal on installing another $10 fan on a $1000 notebook?

I hope that someone there understands what are the expectations from the Thinkpad products. 

Token Ring
bylund

I support this motion. My computer overheats, which is probably another problem, but I do experience the very hot handrest as well.
Serial Port
lancelot916

I'm IN!  Too bad we aren't making much ruckus.  Someone has got to think of a way to ROCK THE BOAT PEOPLE!

Maybe we can spam fax them.  Or send boxes of dog poo to them.  Can we file a lawsuit?

7668-CTO

Thinkpad X61s (crap)

Bit Torrent
wjli2

hum, i don't think Lenovo will release fans when new X series laptop is already out. I suggest you people start to look at SSD option.
Serial Port
lancelot916

[ Edited ]

You can also go here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/onlineassistant/submitAQuestion.vm&s... and submit a service request and just complain through that route.  Use the link NOT to service your lappy but to complain and make them do more work to contact you and send out a box and ship them back nothing, LOL - waste their shipping money.

Oh hey, maybe this is where you send the pile of dog poo.

Message Edited by lancelot916 on 08-28-2008 08:39 PM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

lancelot916 nice attitude, however your attitude do not befit the word 'lancelot', there is nothing honourable in what you are suggesting. Put simply you are a lout.