Support in other languages: 
ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: The Official Request Thread: I Want a Second Fan On My X61!

lancelot916 wrote:

Oh hey, maybe this is where you send the pile of dog poo.

And get your ThinkPad blacklisted in the process...grow up, buddy. This forum is NOT a high school lavatory...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Serial Port
lancelot916

wjli2 wrote:
lancelot916 nice attitude, however your attitude do not befit the word 'lancelot', there is nothing honourable in what you are suggesting. Put simply you are a lout.

a lout I maybe.  but I am being a lout due to the loutishness of Lenovo.

JaneL

Let's just all back it down a notch, shall we?

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Bit Torrent
wjli2

So you think adding a second fan is going to solve the problem??? Where you going to fit the fan, how are you going to direct the cold air to where you want it to go??? when everything else is jammed together, there is hardly any space left for anything else. T43p made by IBM also suffered overheating problems... the only fix was either to increase Fan speed or build your own heat sink with a piece of copper plate.

Serial Port
ColMaki

[ Edited ]

1. The only way to go is by making a polite and respectful request to Lenovo. Anyone that thinks he wants to try this in other ways, may do it in his own free time and on a different thread. I just want to get Lenovo attention and a solution.

2. The problem is not in the harddrive. my right palm rest gets warm with minimal of HD work, and when connected to LAN and not even operating wireless. That's clearly a bad design on behalf of Lenovo. I've been suggested to reduce my CPU speed or m wireless network capabilites. I didn't bought a top notch notebook from a top notch company just to use half of it's power. If it gets so hot either fix it or notify me during purchase.

3. Notebook owners are getting pushed around by the companies everyday. The companies don't do us a favor by letting us buy their laptops. We are doing *THEM* a favor by chosing their notebooks. But we get poor desing, bloatware all around, and they even force us to make our own recovery discs, becaues they can cut 50 cents of their production expenses. 

So I don't expect to change everything, but I do expect to get a perfectly working machine outside of the box. One that I can work with for long hours. As I've already said, there is no point in selling a notebook with a battery for 7 hours of work, when you can't work on it for more than 2 hours.

4. In order to help, people should start mailing this thread to other forums, blogs and newspapers. It's not going to be quick, it's not going to be easy - But I'm planning to win this! 

@Wjli2:

there is a place for the fan on the motherboard, there are connectors already. I'm not asking Lenovo to redesign the laptop from scratch, just to let me get a fan so I can work in normal condition. Do some searching and you will find that X61 owners with the WWAN option suffers much less from heat.

Message Edited by ColMaki on 08-29-2008 12:47 PM
Message Edited by ColMaki on 08-30-2008 03:01 AM
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,307
Solutions: 283

Colmaki,

I appreciate your spirit and intent here.   I've explored this request from other users in the past, and here were some of the things I found....

1) There are different case designs to provide the venting  and air path for the other fan

2) Not all X61 system boards have the second fan power connection

3) Temperature is subjective - people saying something is "too hot" is difficult to address in a meaningful manner. 

For reasons 1 & 2, it is not as simple as handing out a $10 fan. 

For point #3, which can be affected by use of the wifi card, and overall operational settings of the system and the environment it is used in, plus variances in sensitivity from individual to individual, we need something more specific.

I would suggest recording the temperature of your plamrest under different conditions.  If your temps are outside of engineering specs, then chances are that something is wrong with your system and it should be serviced.  Lenovo conducts extensive testing during the development of new systems.

If the existing fan and heat sinks are clogged with dust, the system is going to run warmer as well.   Blowing out the existing fan and heat sink might be a good first step for those who think their system runs too warm.

To others on this thread  who may suggest mass email, spamming inboxes, driving up shipping costs, wasting service time etc.....

These actions impede our ability to service your fellow customers.  If you clog the lines of communication, and waste service and support resources with deliberate frivality, you are adversely affecting our ability to focus on other customers with legitimate issues.  

Please think carefully about what you suggest.  The internet is indeed a powerful vehicle to gather those with similar beliefs and concerns, and to present your case for change & improvement.   This forum is a place to share experiences and points of view in a respectful and reasonable manner.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Serial Port
ColMaki

[ Edited ]

Dear Mark_Lenovo,

I appreciate your response. 

Let me start from the end. My X61 is less than 3 weeks old, and less than 2 weeks in working. There is no dust, clogging or anything else.

I've checked more than dozens of notebooks in the last 8 years for work, and I've never witnessed this kind of heat. I've also had a chance to work with the early X60 and the problem is less significant there. I don't need a thermometer (and I really don't plan on holding a thermomter on my notebook) to know that this heat is disturbing and more than a minor inconvenience.

I'm sure that this heat is in the engineering specs as you quote them, but the engineering specs are made for the plastic shells not for the human beings. The notebook may not get to the 80C and will not burn, but if it's constantly on 50C it's more than a small inconvenience. I've paid extra to have an 8 cell batter in order to work long hours. I can only work less than 30 minutes until my right palm rest gets totally sweaty - this is total unacceptable. I don't expect the notebook to be ice cold, but there is heat after intense work, and there is heat that is not convenient even with the wireless connection off!

I've tried my notebook in different situations. It gets very hot when I'm working with a G wireless connection. It get less hot when I use a B wireless connection, and I've even lowered the wireless power output and in order to get it a least one degree colder. I've paid extra to have a Intel 4965AGN card, and I plan to use the N wireless connection. What will happen then? I will be able to work for only 10 minutes?

According to the HMM of Lenovo all the X61 have the same casings. I have difficulty to believe that Lenovo manufactures different motherboards and casings for each particular model with such a small variation. This series is not brand new and designs doesn't change from month to month. These models have been produced for a significant amount of time.

The heat problems are reported by countless users in all of Thinkpad forums, but still no one at Lenovo seems to care about the issue. There is no knowledgebase article, no warning when you buy the notebook. nothing. I would have happily paid for a different casing with an extra fan in the time of purchase, but there is no such option. Users in forums suggested me to lower my CPU voltage or the wireless transmit power - is that the reason I've paid for a top notch notebook from a top notch company?

But I've paid more - to get more. And this is the time where Lenovo should show why it charges premium prices for Thinkpads. The durability and service of the Thinkpad notebooks are the reasons that people buy them.

Lenovo can install the fan for every user with the casing that can hold it. For any other customer it can offer a different compensation. There no such thing as not doing anything about this problem.

I've already approached several news outlets regarding this problem, and I hope they will publish this story. I'm also continuing to spread the story through other sites with the help of other users. I want to assure you that I will not leave this problem until it gets solved for everyone here. I've got no other choice: the problem just keeps remind me itself every working day.

Message Edited by ColMaki on 08-29-2008 11:48 PM
Serial Port
lancelot916

To others on this thread  who may suggest mass email, spamming inboxes, driving up shipping costs, wasting service time etc.....

These actions impede our ability to service your fellow customers.  If you clog the lines of communication, and waste service and support resources with deliberate frivality, you are adversely affecting our ability to focus on other customers with legitimate issues.  

Please think carefully about what you suggest.  The internet is indeed a powerful vehicle to gather those with similar beliefs and concerns, and to present your case for change & improvement.   This forum is a place to share experiences and points of view in a respectful and reasonable manner.

Mark

HI Mark,

Unfortunately people took my remark(s) the wrong way about pranks, twas a joke people, calm down.  I've been in contact with Lenovo after my laptop came back, still hot, and the only thing changed was the motherboard and updated BIOS, which of course did not rectify the problem.  I think when we are saying that the right palmrest is getting hot, it is unbareably hot.  My right wrist literally starts buzzing as if heat is being emanated through my wrist from below the palm rest.  I've added padding to it (a cut-out mouse pad) and it did not help.

I am not sure how Lenovo wants to deal with it.  Even an apology from Lenovo at this point would be accectable to me.  But what Lenovo does it ask me to send my laptop once again to get serviced..  What will happen?  Will they change the motherboard and update the BIOS again?  Simultaenously we are losing days on our laptop while it's getting shipped and "fixed."  I think for spending $1200 on an X61s, this is ludicrous.

If Lenovo could even send us the fan, I'd pay for it.  But as it is, I don't know how to order it.  

Serial Port
ColMaki

@lancelot1916:

I think that your response is exactly why I don't to end this here. Customers, especially in the technology field, became accustomed to say thanks to the companies if the product doesn't explodes. It's no secret that companies rush products into the market, when they are "half baked" .

But on this matter, it's going to change. I don't want any apologies or excuses from Lenovo - I want solutions. They didn't hurt my feelings by supplying me with a faulty product, they hurt my pocket. And I want this to be fixed.

I didn't spent so much money to become a notebook technician. I want the company to acknowledge that there is a problem, and offer me a true fix at their labs. What really amazes me in this story is that they already have the fix, but they save it from their premium customers who buys their most expensive notebook models.

I really don't want to know what happens to people who buys the less expensive models.
Serial Port
ColMaki

Softpedia picks up the story, let's hope others will follow:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Lenovo-039-s-ThinkPad-X61-Has-Serious-Heating-Issues-92694.shtml