Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
androstan

Re: The X220 with the Renice X3

I guess I'm sending it back. If Windows hadn't recognized it that one time I'd feel confident that I have a dead drive.

What's some good antistatic plastic packaging?

802.11n
JNavas

cybergibbons wrote:

I have been using the Renice X3 for about 3 weeks now and it is fine with BIOS 1.19. I have had a couple of bluescreens but not been able to pin down the cause. It's no more frequent that any other laptop I have used.

Yikes! You should not be getting BSOD on any laptop/notebook!

I can't remember the last time I had one on any of the many ThinkPads I've owned.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

obscurite wrote:

OT -- Wondering if you checked out MyDigitalDiscount's MyDigitalSSD options? Seem to be somewhat cheaper than the Renice and about as fast as the Intel msatas. It's my top choice because of price and what seems like relatively attentive customer service. The one year warranty isn't ideal, but for the price it's hard to argue.

MyDigitalSSD uses a Phison controller, which is not as well regarded as the Intel controller used in the 310 and the SandForce controller used by Renice. That said, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
androstan

Just for reference, this is the intel 510 that is compatible with the x220?

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-SSDSC2MH120A2K5-510Series-2-5inch-Retail/dp/B004TO4JBE/ref=sr_1_2?s=elec...
Punch Card
androstan

I just installed the Intel 510. I did R&R via an external USB drive. Now, when I power on the machine, the screen is just blank.

Punch Card
androstan

The machine does power on, and the screen goes from completely dead to black but with a little brightness.

Does it just take a while for BIOS to come up?

Punch Card
androstan

Now it just says "Invalid Partition Table"
802.11n
JNavas

androstan wrote:

I just installed the Intel 510. I did R&R via an external USB drive. Now, when I power on the machine, the screen is just blank.

Does the 510 appear in the list of boot devices, and is it bootable?

What kind of R&R restore did you do?

Hope that helps,
John
Punch Card
androstan

I just powered off the computer, unplugged the external drive, then powered it back on. Now I can see the boot menu and the intel drive is on it. However, I cannot boot or anything since I don't have the external R&R drive plugged in.

I just did R&R, i.e. data and recovery I think? It didn't really indicate there were a bunch of options.

802.11n
JNavas

androstan wrote:

I just powered off the computer, unplugged the external drive, then powered it back on. Now I can see the boot menu and the intel drive is on it. However, I cannot boot or anything since I don't have the external R&R drive plugged in.

I just did R&R, i.e. data and recovery I think? It didn't really indicate there were a bunch of options.

You need to do a complete drive backup and restore, not just the primary partition, or you won't get a valid partition table.

The alternative is to use something like Paragon Partition Manager to fix the partition table.

Or start over with something like Paragon Migrate to SSD or Acronis True Image.

Hope that helps,
John